Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
joru
Contributor

Forticlient blocks internet access

Hello, I have the following problem with forticlient, basically in some PC' s when FC is active internet and intranet access becomes unavailable but if forticlient is shutdown everything starts working fine, if FC is activated again the same story occurs. FC is the only antivirus installed on those PCs. FC v4.1.2 managed via FortiManager. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.
12 REPLIES 12
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Welcome to the forums. Do a search under the Forticlient forum. There is a registry key to shut down part of the Forticlient system. (proxy or scanning. I don' t recall). Hope that helps

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
s_ahmad
New Contributor

hi, on your lan device (wired oder wireless) you have to clear the dns ip.
joru
Contributor

Thanks for the welcoming rwpatterson, I' ve searched the forum and found how to deactivate fortiproxy registry entry, I' ve tried it but the problem remains. Hello s.ahmad, I' m not sure I understand your suggestion, correct me if I' m wrong, you mean that in the PC with the problem (LAN wired Device) I should erase/clear the DNS IP from the network config? if that is the case then it will only have internet web site access trough IPs (regardless of FC activated or not) or what do you mean by clearing the DNS IP? Thanks both for your answers.
abelio
Valued Contributor

I' ve tried it but the problem remains.
Did you reboot the machine before re-test?

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
joru

Yes I did reboot, actually rebooting sometimes solved the problem for a while until it happened again. I guess I' ve found a way to fix this problem by disabling Fortiproxy, following some instructions from Fortinet' s support, but is hard to say because of the random nature of this issue, at least it has been working fine for about a week . 1) From cmd run the command: sc stop fortishield 2) Shutdown FortiClient 3) Go to regedit - HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Fortinet/FortiClient/FA_FORTIPROXY/ set the " enabled" variable value from 1 to 0 If there is an error window that says something like " cannot change regedit" then right click on the FA_FORTIPROXY directory and change the permissions to Total Control (even if the value seems to have been changed) Note that all this procedure was executed in at least 2 Windows XP SP2 PCs with FortiClient V4.2 in both (I think) and inmediatelly after it the internet and intranet access returned which is a good sign.
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Joru, Have you solved your internet access problem yet? If yes, could you share with us how you solved it? Thanks, L.Clarke
Ling Lu
rmnetops
New Contributor

To make it easier. Here is the link to the article mentioned above: http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=11971&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KCARTICLE_1_1&dialogID=14243531&stateId=0 0 14241733 If installing with an MSI installer package, you can disable it at install time using this syntax: msiexec.exe /i FortiClient.msi ENABLE_FORTIPROXY=0 /qn
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Thanks Joru! It' s good to know that disabling FortiProxy is a workaround fro the issue. In the latest version of FortiClient 4.2.3 build 271, it has a new Diagnostics button under General -> Help and Support. FortiProxy can be enabled/disabled using that button. Cheers, L.C.
Ling Lu
thePunk
New Contributor

Hello!

I changed the dns server on my host.

I put it to 8.8.8.8 as dns.

and internet come back when FortiClient is ON

P.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors