Fortinet Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sjoerd93
New Contributor

Forticlient Blank Screen on Fedora Linux

Hey,

I am obligated to use Forticlient VPN for my workplace. Unfortunately, whenever I try to open the Forticlient GUI, I get a completely blank screen. The navigation menu on the top loads fine, I can press file which gives me an option to quit the application (and nothing else), and I can press Help which gives me two links to documentation that don't help me in this situation. The program itself doesn't load however.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue? I just tried to install the rpm-package from the VPN-only client. I guess it may be specifically designed for CentOS only? If so, is there any way to get it working on Fedora?

My terminal output doesn't give me a lot:
[sjoerd@lennart ~]$ forticlient
Fontconfig warning: "/usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/05-reset-dirs-sample.conf", line 6: unknown element "reset-dirs"
Platform detected: fedora
[ '/usr/lib/opt/forticlient/gui/FortiClient-linux-x64/FortiClient' ]
did-finish-load
window-all-closed

I'm running Fedora Silverblue with the latest base image from the 3th of June 2022 if that helps anyone.

Kind regards,
Sjoerd

3 REPLIES 3
sw2090
Honored Contributor

as far as  I read now that is not a problem with forticlient but more some bug in the fontconfig package shipped with fedora. 

There is entries in their bugtracker: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1770450 

I did not yet find a workaround except from (prolly manually) update fontconfig.

At least that's the only warning or errror that is shown in your quote. 

CentOS/Fedora/Redhat should be compatible though...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

sjoerd93
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply, that gives me at least a hint of where to look for a further solution. I will report back if I manage to fix it by fiddling with fontconfig!

sw2090
Honored Contributor

the fontconfig message thus is just a warning. So it might not be the actual reason...

You could try to execute 'strace forticlient' to see what it does and opens etc.

(you might first have to install strace).

the strace will give you a load of information so you will have to have a closer look...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams