Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
adogra
New Contributor

FortiOS firmware upgrade from 5.4.1 -> 6.0.2. Fortigate 100 D

Hi Folks,

I need to upgrade Fortigate firmware from 5.4.1 -> 6.0.2 I have the upgrade path 5.4.1->5.4.3->5.4.5->5.6.2->5.6.6->6.0.2 build 0163

Just looking for some one experience going from 5.4.1 -> 6.0.2 build. Is it ok to upgrade or should go with 5->6 or should I take a  while after every patch upgrade?

Thanks

A

1 Solution
Alexis_G
Contributor II

Hi

If I were you:

a. i would add one more upgrade step to latest 5.4 (before jump to 5.5)

b. I would stay to latest 5.6,, FortiOS 6.x needs fixes.

that means

5.4.1->5.4.3->5.4.5->5.4.10 ->5.6.2->5.6.6||

DO not forget to read the release notes of this upgrades and take backup configuration after every upgrade , inorder to rollback if needed.

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

View solution in original post

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
7 REPLIES 7
Bubu
Contributor

Hi,

I didn't quite understand your request. Are you looking to know if v6.0.2 is stable? If that is the question, I recommend you to install the v.5.6.6, because version 6.0.2 is not stable enough. I recommend you always to wait between 4 and 5 releases before upgrading.

Regards,

Bubu

Bubu
Alexis_G
Contributor II

Hi

If I were you:

that means

DO not forget to read the release notes of this upgrades and take backup configuration after every upgrade , inorder to rollback if needed.

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
Kommissar

I upgraded a 100D a few days ago from 5.2.13 to 5.6.6 (suggested upgrade path), so far everything seems OK. I would't dare to use 6.0.x in production yet

adogra

Kommissar wrote:

I upgraded a 100D a few days ago from 5.2.13 to 5.6.6 (suggested upgrade path), so far everything seems OK. I would't dare to use 6.0.x in production yet

Did you upgrade it from 5.2.13 -> 5.6.6 in one go ? or did you wait after every upgrade patch?

Thanks

sw2090
Honored Contributor

The best way is to use the upgrade path that is officially recommended by FortiNet. You can find that at the support portal.

If your FGT is on Factory Default there is no need to care for upgrade paths for there is nothing that could be lost.

Alas in this case  you could do yet annother Factory Reset after upgrading.

if you have a (productive) config on the fgt it is recommended to create a backup and follow the official upgrade path to be save and not lose anything.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Kommissar

adogra wrote:

Did you upgrade it from 5.2.13 -> 5.6.6 in one go ? or did you wait after every upgrade patch?

No, I followed the official upgrade path. Take a look at the reply above from sw2090, is the correct detailed answer.

adogra

jklapas wrote:

Hi

If I were you:

that means

Hi Jklapas,  many thanks for above answer. 

Just to add. I have managed fortiAP model FP221C -v5.4 -build0339 managed by same firewall that i need to upgrade to 5.6. Is there any impact on them with FW firmware upgrade. will they work as expected after upgrade or they also require firmware upgrade?

Thanks

A

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors