Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

FortiOS 5.2.1 is out

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
46 REPLIES 46
dasilva13
New Contributor

very excited about 5.2.1 as it allows my 300d to move up to that version (not allowed on 5.2) and I need it since we have the new AC ap' s that need at lest 5.2 (I was using beta version)
BWiebe

Had some strangeness with one firewall I upgraded, a 200B. The smbcd process was taking 30-40% of the memory on the device and putting it dangerously close to conserve mode. After killing the process, it seemed better, but eventually hung. After a hard reboot, smbcd process again at 37.5% memory usage. Compared to other 5.2.1 firewalls, and smbcd sits at 0%. No documentation on the purpose of smbcd. I opened a call with TAC on this issue. Strangely enough, after about the 4th reboot, the smbcd process is at 0% usage and seemingly ok. Not only that but the memory and CPU usage on the firewall are better than they' ve ever been (the upgrade was from 5.0.6). Still curious on the smbcd process and why it was pinning the memory for so long....
JnascECSI

ORIGINAL: BWiebe Had some strangeness with one firewall I upgraded, a 200B. The smbcd process was taking 30-40% of the memory on the device and putting it dangerously close to conserve mode. After killing the process, it seemed better, but eventually hung. After a hard reboot, smbcd process again at 37.5% memory usage. Compared to other 5.2.1 firewalls, and smbcd sits at 0%. No documentation on the purpose of smbcd. I opened a call with TAC on this issue. Strangely enough, after about the 4th reboot, the smbcd process is at 0% usage and seemingly ok. Not only that but the memory and CPU usage on the firewall are better than they' ve ever been (the upgrade was from 5.0.6). Still curious on the smbcd process and why it was pinning the memory for so long....
BWiebe, Just wondering how the 200B has been since your 5.2.1 upgrade? We have 3 of them running 5.0.9 and i have been holding off jumping to 5.2 to see what others have said about it and if it was worth the jump yet.
2 x FortiGate 200B 4.2.8 FortiGate 200A 4.2.8 FortiAnalyzer 100C 4.2.4 FortiAP 220B 4.2.7 FortiSwitch 80-POE 4.2.3
2 x FortiGate 200B 4.2.8 FortiGate 200A 4.2.8 FortiAnalyzer 100C 4.2.4 FortiAP 220B 4.2.7 FortiSwitch 80-POE 4.2.3
simonorch

I' ve got one customer running 5.2.1 on a 200B cluster. Quite a complex config as well with nat\route vdoms and transparent, lots of ipsec and utm. No show stopping issues seen so far after running it in production for several weeks.

NSE8 Fortinet Expert partner - Norway

NSE8 Fortinet Expert partner - Norway
BWiebe

BWiebe, Just wondering how the 200B has been since your 5.2.1 upgrade? We have 3 of them running 5.0.9 and i have been holding off jumping to 5.2 to see what others have said about it and if it was worth the jump yet.
Pretty solid, other than the initial issue.
vanc
New Contributor

I don' t even see smbcd process on my 100D. Do you have web cache or web proxy enabled? I don' t have these features enabled.
Christopher_McMullan

SMBCD could also point to DLP being enabled, or backing up configuration revisions to a network share.

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

BWiebe

ORIGINAL: Christopher McMullan_FTNT SMBCD could also point to DLP being enabled, or backing up configuration revisions to a network share.
No DLP is enabled and no backup to network enabled/setup. It' s very perplexing to me.
Omar_Hermannsson

The name SMBCD seems to indicate that is has something with scanning windows filesharing protocols smb/cifs. Or something for connecting to windows fileshares. Not sure what the C stands for. SMB C-something daemon ?
BWiebe

ORIGINAL: Omar Hermannsson The name SMBCD seems to indicate that is has something with scanning windows filesharing protocols smb/cifs. Or something for connecting to windows fileshares. Not sure what the C stands for. SMB C-something daemon ?
TAC has come back and said it' s related to SMB shares through Web Portal SSLVPN. The only problem with that is: A) The firewall was essentially unavailable/in conserve mode. B) No users access SSLVPN in that manner. C) This happened during an extensive offhours window, as well as a window when all users were in the office. D) It suddenly stopped ' misbehaving' and started working at 0% after about the 5th reboot. I still believe it' s something with the conversion from 5.0.6 to 5.2.* code-base, but what do I know?
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors