Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sotir1984
New Contributor II

FortiManager replace managed device model

Hi,

I want to replace 100D model with 100E model in FortiManager.

I was thinking that an easy method would be to use this kb: https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD34527

which is for same model replacement. TAC told me that it won't work, but was wondering if anyone in this forum has experience with this?

Having to remap interfaces, and add the device in VPN manager will take manual work that i would like to avoid.

Thank you,

-1984-

-1984-
1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I tried to replace a 100D with a 100E but didn't work the easy way because FMG rejects the serial because it is different model then the one to replace. Even though 100D and 100E just differ internally but not in config.

I only see the long way: add the 100E in device manager and do all the mappings etc...

If you use central policy package you only need the set the device config.

You can user a backup from the 100D and restore this on the 100E if you replace the header (Line 1-4) in that backu with the header from a backup from that 100E. Both should run same firmare for this.

This would after adding the 100E to FMG only leave you the mappings to do manually.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
2 REPLIES 2
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I tried to replace a 100D with a 100E but didn't work the easy way because FMG rejects the serial because it is different model then the one to replace. Even though 100D and 100E just differ internally but not in config.

I only see the long way: add the 100E in device manager and do all the mappings etc...

If you use central policy package you only need the set the device config.

You can user a backup from the 100D and restore this on the 100E if you replace the header (Line 1-4) in that backu with the header from a backup from that 100E. Both should run same firmare for this.

This would after adding the 100E to FMG only leave you the mappings to do manually.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hehe now I ran into the very same issue as I myself have to replace some 100D with 100E.

I'd like to know if there is any way to trick FMG into turning a 100D into a 100E.

you can trick the backup on the FGT and you probably only would need to change model and serial i FMG Asset Database.

Redoing all the mappings always costs so much time and is completely unneccessary here.

-- 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors