Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Ban
New Contributor

FortiMail Vs VMware Tools

I have recently acquired the FortiMail-VM02 virtual appliance and have downloaded the most recent firmware version for said appliance:

v5.3,build608,160712 (5.3.4 GA)

This virtual appliance will be running in my VMware vSphere 5.5 environment.

Does anybody happen to know, if I am able to install the latest version of VMware Tools onto this VM?  I cannot seem to find any documentation anywhere, that answers this question.

Thanks.

2 Solutions
claumakurumure
New Contributor III

Hi there,

The VM tools are to enhance the performance of the host machine (e.g. Windows) not the Fortimail itself 

==========

VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual machines guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine. Without VMware Tools installed in your guest operating system, guest performance lacks important functionality.

==========

hezvo uko

View solution in original post

hezvo uko
Jeff_Roback

While virtual machines do run without VMware Tools installed, they run much more smoothly with VMware Tools installed, in part because they can use VMware-specific drivers (like vmxnet3) instead of having to use emulated hardware ones.  This leads to better performance, less virtualization overhead, less drain on the host, and better management of the virtual machine.  

The VMware site says "VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual machines guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine. Without VMware Tools installed in your guest operating system, guest performance lacks important functionality. Installing VMware Tools eliminates or improves these issues...Although the guest operating system can run without VMware Tools, many VMware features are not available until you install VMware Tools."  https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=340

So it would be nice if Fortinet could deliver the appliance with VMware tools pre-installed using the optimized drivers. 

Jeff Roback

View solution in original post

Jeff Roback
8 REPLIES 8
Carl_Windsor_FTNT

It is not possible to install third party software onto the FortiMail appliance.  What is it you are trying to achieve with VMTools?

Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

Ban

I want to perform a backup and replication of the VM, using Veeam.  When VMware tools are installed, the VM can be quiesced, so that the backup/replica is in a consistent state, should I ever need to use them.

claumakurumure
New Contributor III

Hi there,

The VM tools are to enhance the performance of the host machine (e.g. Windows) not the Fortimail itself 

==========

VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual machines guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine. Without VMware Tools installed in your guest operating system, guest performance lacks important functionality.

==========

hezvo uko
hezvo uko
HansVH

I have the same config as topic starter. I also would like to backup the FortiMail VM using Veeam, therefore the use of VMWare tools is a necessity. Also on behalf of the topic starter I would like to repeat the question: are there any guidelines as to how to install VMWare tools on the Fortimail VM?

The reply marked as answer above really does not contain an answer at all.

Thx.

HansVH
New Contributor

OK Figured it out. There's indeed no need to install VMWare tools on the FortiMail VM. I just needed to change a setting on the job itself: apart from disabeling VMWare tools quiescence I also disabled application-aware processing. Backup job now runs fine!

Jeff_Roback

While virtual machines do run without VMware Tools installed, they run much more smoothly with VMware Tools installed, in part because they can use VMware-specific drivers (like vmxnet3) instead of having to use emulated hardware ones.  This leads to better performance, less virtualization overhead, less drain on the host, and better management of the virtual machine.  

The VMware site says "VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual machines guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine. Without VMware Tools installed in your guest operating system, guest performance lacks important functionality. Installing VMware Tools eliminates or improves these issues...Although the guest operating system can run without VMware Tools, many VMware features are not available until you install VMware Tools."  https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=340

So it would be nice if Fortinet could deliver the appliance with VMware tools pre-installed using the optimized drivers. 

Jeff Roback

Jeff Roback
ThunderSpartan
New Contributor

We have a vm01 on a 5.5 host and i use Veeam enterprise, i have the fortimail installed without the tools and it works fine, i backup daily and have restored successfully.

Good luck

ConSol IT

boneyard

consider opening a ticket with fortinet support, they can give a definite answer. if it is possible it might cause you issues if they find out later on while troubleshooting something.

in general i stay away from installing vmware tools on virtual appliances.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors