Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
apolis
New Contributor

FortiMail Server Mode

Hi,

Is someone used FortiMail in server mode? How it's acting as email server?

Think how good it is?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Rob_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi

I do use it as a full message store. Nothing to say against it. Having three domains covering 12 users. Not integrated with AD just local users and not using the calendar server (because I don't need it). It servers very well. Using public certificate, so having also access with iphones from outside to send mails. Imaps, webclient, mac mail integration. All fine.

Regards

Robert

apolis

Okay, thanks!

How good is spam blocking and DLP? Also I'm wondering how fast is FortiCloud Sandbox Service?

How long it takes when email submitted for analysis to deliver to recipient?

regards,

Aigars

Rob_FTNT

Hi

spam always takes some times to have a good catch rate. That is solution independent. For the first weeks I put all in quarantine and trained users to check the postini mail and whitelist correct senders. Now I have one or two spams per week.

Sandboxing: I do use on premise sandbox. It doesn't matter if on premis or cloud. If it goes into a clone than it takes 3min max per definition. But not everything really ends up in a clone for execution. There are several pre checks. Average is about 20 seconds to pass a sandbox or cloud.

The most that delays a mail is if greylisting is switched on. That relays on the sender. It can take up to 20 minutes. But greylisting helps a lot. So from that point of view, sandboxing is not really delaying.

Keep in mind: Mail is not a real time chat!

HTH

Rob

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I run  two units in  server-mode . Approx 4 domains but only three mailboxes per domain, the rest are aliases that points back to one of the three users or externals.

Delay is normal and as posted earlier greylisting is all dependent on the sending MTA and out of your  control. Catch rate  is good. The webgui tally will show you how much is caught and by what methods. I do not sandbox.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors