Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
NotMine
Contributor

FortiGate causing Google to change it's localized page

Hello,

I have noticed in several deployments that implementing a FGT in the network causes Google to change it localized page. For example, if the user is used to google.com or google.me (I'm from Montenegro), after the FGT implementation Google shows the google.hu (Hungary) page, in Hungarian language. It's always google.hu. Firmware version is irrelevant, apparently, this happens with 5.2 and 5.4. Why is this?

BR,

Slavko

NSE 7

All oppinions/statements written here are my own.

NSE 7 All oppinions/statements written here are my own.
2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Do you happen to add VPNs from sites in Hungary or SSL/IPSec VPN for many people in Hungary to share the same internet path when you implemented your FG?

We had a similar experience in the past when we added a big call center off shore and we originally forced them to come through our FG in the US over a VPN to get out to the internet for various reasons you might guess easily. Then suddenly our google.com started redirected to google.xx (masked actual country domain).

We had to install a local FG there for them not to browse internet destinations in their country through our internet path and, because that didn't fix the problem immediately, I found a page deep inside google.com to file a complaint not to redirect, at the same time all people in the US to bookmark "www.google.com/ncr" (No Country Redirect). In a few days, it stopped happening without /ndr.

So we figured they're watching at what destinations we go to after visiting google & search. Then it seems to decide where to redirect after the popularity contest with the same source IP address.

NotMine

No, definitively not. There are a couple of C2L VPN tunnels, but they are used by users in our country.

NSE 7

All oppinions/statements written here are my own.

NSE 7 All oppinions/statements written here are my own.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors