Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
connect555
New Contributor

FortiGate ONE or VM02

Hi, what is the best choice and what are the pro / cons? We don´t need more than 5 physical ports for different networks, so the argument with the costs per port for the ONE is not an argument for us. What we found until now: VM02: + Hardware tolerant (no problem when one ESX is dead) + single service licensing possible (AV/IPS/...) - possible bandwith problem on ESX-Server ONE: + Integrated solution + no bandwith problems + dedicated hardware - no single service licensing - no redundance (without a second module -> expensive) Any other pro/cons? Has anyone experience with both systems? Or has anyone experience with other ONE service-modules? How is the support after a 3-5 years? Regards, Jens
7 REPLIES 7
romanr
Valued Contributor

Hi, If you have both parts in your infrastucture and still lots of performance in your ESX this might be a close race! I' d say the more content performance you need the better solution might be the ESX... if you need more firewalling performance then tho ONE gets more interesting... esp if its about latency.... Price/Perfmormance should be better on the ONEif you got a free slot there.... BUT.... a 310B cluster might be at the same price region and gives you NP2 performance (but lower content throughput)... and the highest service level... best regards, Roman
connect555
New Contributor

a 310B cluster might be at the same price region
A cluster or a single device? We have both parts, so its hard to decide.
romanr
Valued Contributor

A cluster or a single device?
The Cluster! ... This is why I would consider that as well... best regards, Roman
connect555
New Contributor

Are you sure? As far as I can see, the 310B, the VM and the ONE are all in same price region. For one device! Who is your reseller? Will he export to Germany? :)
romanr
Valued Contributor

Hi, I sent you a mail! As Fortinet has special cluster pricing, a cluster is far cheaper then 2 boxes! If you count in a one module or the extra power in the ESX a 310B will be around the same total price! best regards, Roman
damiri
New Contributor

Also, if your core switch 5400zl or 8212zl is covered by 6h CTR warranty, the also zl ONE module would be covered. Having firewall inside switch is nice feature and we have deployed it several now. Having firewall on ESXi or even or ESX you are actually handing all your security to VMWARE and VMWARE is not security company nor it has good track record of security in their products. Damir
isptools
New Contributor II

There are a new pricing for VM`s on his way. The limit with the HP-ONE is the CPU of the switch, wich you dont have in VM (if you have enough CPU-Power)
Michael Killermann ISP-TOOLS GmbH Kohlenhofstrasse 60 -D 90443 Nuernberg - Germany Fortinet Certified Network & Security Professional #FCP1001
Michael Killermann ISP-TOOLS GmbH Kohlenhofstrasse 60 -D 90443 Nuernberg - Germany Fortinet Certified Network & Security Professional #FCP1001
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors