Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
4kusnik
New Contributor

FortiGate 30E - 4G failover setup

Hi guys,

I have FortiGate 30E and 4G LTE Modem Netgear LB2120.

I'm trying to set up failover so that if the primary WAN connection is down FortiGate switches to 4G.

Just have a couple of questions:

1) Does FortiGate 30E support failover if it has only one WAN port?

2) If FortiGate 30E support failover how can I set it up if the 4G modem doesn't have static IP address and the gateway is unknown?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

1) basically you can use any port (except console *g*) as a WAN Interface.

So - as sdwan might be overkill here -  just create a 2nd defaut route with higher distance/priority as addition to your existing wan and it will be used when the other goes down.

2) I'd switch the Netgear into bridge mode and do pppoe with the FGT on it. Then you have the public ip plusgw on the interface of the FGT. So just connect the modem (after swithcing it into bridge mode) to a free port of the FGT and set that to do pppoe. Enter the neccessary creds etc for dial in and there you go.

The pobably most elegant way (if the 30E supports it) would indeed be to use sdwan. You will only need one internet policy then (has the sdwan interface as dst interface then) and the sdwan does the rest. Just add your wan and the modem, create some health check to be able to effectively determine wether a wan works or not and then create some sd-wan rule to force it to use your wan first and only use the mdem if the wan is down (sdwan rules are top down like policies). I just up to now was unable to get that to work with dial on demand :(

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors