Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Yazar
New Contributor

FortiGate 1500D to 1800F Migration

Dear Team,

I  have to Migrate FortiGate from 1500d to 1801F.

My Current Firewall 1500D having 6.0.0 Version and I planned to take backup and import to the 1801F Firewall.

As i checked currently 1801F Firewall having 6.2.7,in upgrade library base version show as 6.0.9.

In this case i have to upgrade my 1500D from 6.0.0. -6.0.2-6.0.4-6.05-6.0.7-6.0.9 which will take long time and take more downtime.

Please suggest how i can proceed downgrade 1801F is possible to 6.0.0 or 1500D can we skip any above version and we can reach 6.0.9.

Appreciate your quick response.

5 REPLIES 5
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hey Yazar,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

- regarding downgrading 1801F to 6.0.0, this is not possible; the earliest firmware version for 1801F is 6.0.9/6.2.6, as the 1800F is a fairly recent model.

-> in addtion, downgrade is NOT supported; if your 1801F runs into issues as a consequence of the downgrade, you might have issues getting support for them

- for the 1500D, the recommended upgrade path is the one you have outlined above, deviating from it is not recommended. You could go through the release notes for 6.0.9 to figure out what the earliest firmware version is from which you can upgrade directly, and work your way back, but usually the upgrade path tool presents the best possible path based on starting and final firmware version.

You could go to 6.2.6 on your 1500D instead of 6.0.9, to remove the downgrade need on 1801F; the upgrade process would require a similar number of interim steps as upgrade to 6.0.9 though.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
Yazar
New Contributor

Thanks Debbie,

I have downgraded 1801F till 6.0.9.

According to 1500D from 6.0.0-6.0.2-6.0.4-6.05-6.0.7-6.0.9 can i skip any of this intermediate version or i have do all the upgrades as per upgrade library.

Thanks for your support and quick response.

Debbie_FTNT

Dear Yazar, as mentioned above:

"You could go through the release notes for 6.0.9 to figure out what the earliest firmware version is from which you can upgrade directly, and work your way back, but usually the upgrade path tool presents the best possible path based on starting and final firmware version."

-> FortiOS release notes used to contain a section stating what minimum firmware version was necessary for an upgrade

-> this section was removed and replaced with a link to the upgrade path tool

-> I cannot advise to skip any steps of the recommended upgrade path

-> skipping any steps might not result in issues, but could also cause significant issues with your config

-> the only method I can suggest is to follow the upgrade path as outlined in the tool

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
Yazar
New Contributor

Thanks Debbie,

Currently i upgraded 1500D to 6.0.9 and Downgraded 1801F into 6.0.9 but when i try to import i am getting Invalid configuration or password error.

Do i need to do through Forti convertor only or i can restore from 1500D

I thing due to interface's changes it showing that error please suggest

Appreciate your quick response.

Yazar
New Contributor

it works now i modified config and able to see the changes.

no need Forti convertor in this case

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors