Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fabio-C
New Contributor

FortiClient VPN not connecting on Ubuntu: Backup routing table failed

Some debug info:

- sslvpn:739 Login successful

- main:1112 State: Configuring tunnel

- vpn_connection:1263 Backup routing table failed

- main:1412 Init

Things I tried: 
1- reinstall FortiClient
2- disable ufw firewall

How can I solve that?

Ubuntu 22
FortiClient free 7.0.0.0018

21 REPLIES 21
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello fabio-C,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello fabio-C,

I found this document:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/7.0.1/linux-release-notes/213138/install-forticlient-...

Could you please tell me if it helped?

If not, we will find another solution to reply to your answer.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Redtree

Hi,

i have the same error. 

I installed via deb file from download. The provided update server provide only lts versions. With latest update from 21.04 to 22.04 the tool stopped working.

fabio-C

No, that's not working.

I will add more additional info:
If I use my phone as a wifi hotspot, and I connect my laptop to it, forticlient VPN works.

Furthermore, this seems a very similar problem. I also have Vodafone provider in Spain:
https://conocelastic.savethechildren.es/kb/Forticlient%20-%20Error%20de%20conexion%20clientes%20de%2...

Should I call Vodafone?

sw2090
Honored Contributor

@Redtree 22.04 is also a LTS version of Ubuntu btw ;)

However there was a thread in hiere about installing FortiClient from .deb on a different but also debian based linux (I forgot about the name).

In this case it was unmet dependencies that prevented Forticlient .deb from being installed as some packages had been removed from the standard repositories. That could be workarounded by getting those packages from the debian buster repos and manually install them. After that FortiCLient was able to install and worked fine so far.

I would need to search for that thread.

And to the initial issue here: accoarding to the error thrown by FortiClient that could be permission issues. Since the routing table is not a physical file maybe it's an issue of apparmor being to restrictive. I ran into some similar issue in Ubuntu with Strongswan not being able to add the dns provided via mode_config to my resolve.conf due to too restrictive apparmor profile...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I found that thread again: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Fortinet-Forum/VPN-installation-on-Linux-dependency-problem/td-p/2...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
zwen

Thanks for help! This works on my PC. I met the same issue on ubuntu 22.04 before (Backup routing table failed). After installing libindicator7, VPN connection succeeds.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

maybe looking not only at the logs of FortiClient but also into /var/log/syslog, /var/log/daemon.log or /var/log/messages might provide some clue on what fails here.

-- 

emilianoh
New Contributor

Hello, my solution was as follows:

https://kifarunix.com/install-forticlient-vpn-client-on-ubuntu-20-04-ubuntu-18-04/

I tried multiple options and it was the only one that worked for me.

Best regards

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors