Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Boris_Rogalla
New Contributor

FortiClient 5.6.2 IPsec-VPN with certificate authentication

Hi!

We are trying to configure FortiClient to VPN to our Fortigate with certficate authentication.

We deploy Forticlient Profiles with a trial Version of EMS 1.2.2

The configuration of the Fortigate seems to be ok. IPSec-VPN with preshared key works and IPsec-VPN with certificate authentication using a certificate in the user-store works also, if I manually create the vpn on the FortiClient.

But if I deploy a VPN in the FortiClient-Profile created in EMS, the VPN connection failes with the following error in FortiClient.log:

22.11.2017 17:42:55 Fehlersuche VPN AuthDaemon. CSP_AND_CERTNAME 22.11.2017 17:42:55 Fehlersuche VPN AuthDaemon:Certificate was not loaded. 22.11.2017 17:42:55 Fehlersuche VPN authentication finished 22.11.2017 17:42:55 Fehlersuche VPN pki_get_mycert() return mycert null !!!! 22.11.2017 17:42:55 Information VPN ike_cfg_gw_init failed check the vpn gateway configuraiton

If I edit the xml and add <prompt_certificate>1 and choose the user cert the vpn connects also.

So it seems like the deployed vpn is not able to auto-select the right certificate.

"use windows store certificates" and "current user windows store certicates" ist enabled.

Any ideas?

Boris

3 REPLIES 3
Georg_P
New Contributor

hello,

i had the same problem yesterday and found a solution for that.

1) on the client manually configure the vpn profile and export the working config (xml file).

2) open the xml file and search for the vpn config (<ipsecvpn> ...). Under the <ike_settings>  section of the manually configured profile you should find an <auth_data> section. It should look like that:

<auth_data>                             <certificate>                                 <common_name>                                     <match_type>                                         <![CDATA[simple]]>                                     </match_type>                                     <pattern>                                         <![CDATA[computer1.example.com]]>                                     </pattern>                                 </common_name>                                 <issuer>                                     <match_type>                                         <![CDATA[simple]]>                                     </match_type>                                     <pattern>                                         <![CDATA[ISSUING-CA]]>                                     </pattern>                                 </issuer>                             </certificate>                         </auth_data>

We have an ad certificate authority which issue machine certficates to the clients. In this section the client certificate (common name: computer1.example.com), which is used for authentication and the issuing ca name (issuer: ISSUING-CA) is specified. The <match_type>: simple means the pattern must match exactly. There are three different match types:

[ul]
  • simple
  • wildcard
  • regex[/ul]

You can find a bit more info in the xml reference guide on page 23:

https://docs.fortinet.com...nt-5.6.2-xml-reference

3) So if you want to create a generic VPN profile for your clients, you have to edit the auth_data section to something like that and insert it in the profile in ems under XML Configuration on the right place:

<auth_data>                             <certificate>                                 <common_name>                                     <match_type>                                         <![CDATA[wildcard]]>                                     </match_type>                                     <pattern>                                         <![CDATA[*.example.com]]>                                     </pattern>                                 </common_name>                                 <issuer>                                     <match_type>                                         <![CDATA[simple]]>                                     </match_type>                                     <pattern>                                         <![CDATA[ISSUING-CA]]>                                     </pattern>                                 </issuer>                             </certificate>                         </auth_data>

The match type wildcard means you specify an * in the common name so *.example.com matches to:

[ul]
  • computer1.example.com
  • computer2.example.com
  • abc.example.com[/ul]

and save the config. First i tried regex but i wasn´t able to get a working profile.

When you save the config it looks like that, don´t worry about that:

<auth_data>                             <certificate>                                 <common_name>                                     <match_type>wildcard</match_type>                                     <pattern><![CDATA[*.example.com]]></pattern>                                 </common_name>                                 <issuer>                                     <match_type>simple</match_type>                                     <pattern>ISSUING-CA</pattern>                                 </issuer>                             </certificate>                         </auth_data>

4) look if the profile is publish to your clients by exporting the config on the client and looking into it for the auth section. 

I have to remove the profile and reassign it to get it correctly published to the client.

hope this helps you :)

• Boris_Rogalla

Hello Gerorg,

thanks for your reply, which helped me a lot. It works exactly as you described and so I am now able do deploy a working profile.

But one question remains:

If I use computer certs it should be easy to use wildcards to allow vpn for all domain computers.

But I would like to use user certs (as I would like to allow vpn for some users on any domain computer instead of any user on some or any computers). 

How do I wildcard a user cert, as it's common name pattern is something like "lastname, givenname"

Georg_P

Hello Boris,

i´m glad that i could help.

Do you want to deploy the Profile with the option "VPN before Login"?

When yes its not going to work with User certificates, because the user must be logged in to access the certificate (chicken-and-egg problem). You get the same problems when you use SSLVPN with user certificates.

Here is a working xml Config for your question:

<certificate>     <common_name>         <match_type>regex</match_type>         <pattern><![CDATA[.* .*]]></pattern>     </common_name>     <issuer>         <match_type>simple</match_type>         <pattern>ISSUING-CA</pattern>     </issuer> </certificate>

I know that the regex is very generic (yes there is a blank between the .*). I was only able to get working configs with these three regex expressions:

?

if you can find a way to get a better regex working, let me know about it.

BG,

Georg

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors