Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TomBlank
New Contributor

Facebook detection not working application controle

Hello,

I am running a fortigate 800C using application controle.

If i block the facebook application signature, i cannot access facebook.

If i allow the facebook application signature, i can access whole facebook and cannot specify not to chat, game and like.

The applications detected in the log are facebook and not par example facebook_post.

I want to allow the users to login and search for other users, but nothing more.

I think it has something to do with https/ssl but do not know how to fix it.

Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Kind regards,

Tom

5 REPLIES 5
iJake
Contributor

Can you confirm you're using SSL inspection? You'll probably need to select deep inspection for this. 

EDIT: To clarify, Deep Inspection is selected within the IPv4 policy, it will have certificate-inspection or deep-inspection

-Jake

...... -Jake
TomBlank
New Contributor

Hello,

I have changed the setting from certificate inspection to deep scan.

Now i am getting certificate warnings when going to facebook. I can login after accepting the "risk"

The fortigate CA root certificate is not trusted.

I get blocked content with certificate errors and am still able to push the like button.

Do i need to install our own certificate on the firewall or can i download the fortigate CA and lnstall that certificate?

kind regards,

Tom

hklb
Contributor II

TomBlank wrote:

Hello,

I have changed the setting from certificate inspection to deep scan.

Now i am getting certificate warnings when going to facebook. I can login after accepting the "risk"

The fortigate CA root certificate is not trusted.

I get blocked content with certificate errors and am still able to push the like button.

Do i need to install our own certificate on the firewall or can i download the fortigate CA and lnstall that certificate?

kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

you can do one of these solution (install fortigate CA on computer, or create a Ca for your fortigate).

BUT : If you don't know how it works, I suggest you to do not enable this features, or read the documentation carefully. Are you sure that your hardware will able to do that (in point of performance) ? some applications don't allow SSL interception.. I suggest you to ask to your fortinet partner to configure this feature to avoid all problem.

Lucas

iJake
Contributor

If you want to block certain applications within Facebook, but not the whole site, then you will need it.

You're using a 800C, Deep SSL inspection will have an impact on performance, but to achieve what you want, it needs to be done. As said above, add the Fortinet cert to your CA, I think its the one called Fortinet_SSLProxy (or similar)

-Jake

...... -Jake
vmartin_FTNT
Staff
Staff

There's a Cookbook recipe about preventing certificate warnings here: http://cookbook.fortinet.com/preventing-certificate-warnings/

There's also some more information about SSL inspection in a recent article here: http://cookbook.fortinet.com/why-you-should-use-ssl-inspection/

Technical Writer, FortiOS

Let me know if there's anything you want to see added to the FortiGate Cookbook.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors