Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
theFWdude
New Contributor

FAZ - SMTP

All, I've got what I think is a pretty simple question... I have multiple interfaces configured on my FAZ, (MGMT, ROUTING, LOGGING); when configuring SMTP for notifications, does anyone know which interface the FAZ sends SMTP traffic on?  I need to know so that my mail admins can create an exception for the the FAZ Relay policy.

I tried testing (expecting failure) and in hopes the logs would tell me which interface was used for SMTP, but sadly no dice.

-TFWD

-TFWD
3 REPLIES 3
chall_FTNT
Staff
Staff

The outgoing interface should just be determined by the routes on the FortiAnalyzer.  If the SMTP server is not directly connecting & there are no static routes added, then which interface has a default gateway.

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
theFWdude

Thank you Chall.  The mail server is not directly connected, Port1 (routing) is the only interface with static route configured to my default gateway. I'm assuming smtp will be coming from Port1.

-TFWD

-TFWD
theFWdude

Boom.. found it..  This gave me exactly what I was looking for and confirms what Chall said.

On the FAZ perform the following:

FortiFaz # diagnose sniffer packet any 'port 25' 1 10 interfaces=[any] filters=[port 25] <output omitted>

-TFWD

-TFWD
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors