Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
student1363
New Contributor

EIGRP routing protocol

hi,

seems a silly question, but why can't I see EIGRP in "Network" menu of FG200E? The only options are "RIP", "OSPF" and "BGP".

Thanks

2 Solutions
aagrafi
Contributor II

EIGRP is a proprietary protocol. You can find it in Cisco routers only. Fortinet, as all other vendors, only support standard protocols.

View solution in original post

aagrafi

I copy from RFC-7868:

"Request for Comments: 7868

Category: Informational

This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. This is a contribution to the RFC Series, independently of any other RFC stream. The RFC Editor has chosen to publish this document at its discretion and makes no statement about its value for implementation or deployment. Documents approved for publication by the RFC Editor are not a candidate for any level of Internet Standard;"

So, please stop making noise about EIGRP in that forum. If someone wants to deploy a good interior routing protocol, there is an excellent choice: It's called OSPF, it's open, it's great.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
aagrafi
Contributor II

EIGRP is a proprietary protocol. You can find it in Cisco routers only. Fortinet, as all other vendors, only support standard protocols.

student1363
New Contributor

thanks. So, when I connect my FG to Cisco router I should use for example RIP between them?

aagrafi

RIP should work, but I would recommend RIPv2 or OSPF.

Oliver_Jones

EIGRP was published as an open standard (see RFC 7868) since May 2016. It is not proprietary. So please stop making excuses, and implement this excellent protocol on FortiGate firewalls. :) https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7868

Edit: See page 78 of the RFC - open source implementations already exist for Linux and OpenBSD.

aagrafi

I copy from RFC-7868:

"Request for Comments: 7868

Category: Informational

This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. This is a contribution to the RFC Series, independently of any other RFC stream. The RFC Editor has chosen to publish this document at its discretion and makes no statement about its value for implementation or deployment. Documents approved for publication by the RFC Editor are not a candidate for any level of Internet Standard;"

So, please stop making noise about EIGRP in that forum. If someone wants to deploy a good interior routing protocol, there is an excellent choice: It's called OSPF, it's open, it's great.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors