Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lokibjensen
New Contributor

DynDNS and private IP addresses on WAN interface when using passthrough mode on modem

Hi all,

We have a bit of a pickle here. Though Fortiguard DDNS allows one to use the command "set use-public-IP enable" we are not able to do that when using dyndns.org as our DDNS provider.  This means that if a modem is not bridged, and doesn't hand out a public IP to our WAN interface, the DDNS provider can then only read the private IP being passed by the modem.

Is there no way to do this?  DynDNS can't auto-discover.  We used to use SonicWALL and they had an option to auto-discover the WAN IP the firewall was coming from but that doesn't seem to be available here.  A possible workaround would be to have the Fortigate somehow discover what the public IP is and assign that to a virtual interface of some sort.  If we could do this then I believe it may be possible to then set the monitor-interface to that interface and the problem would be solved.

Has anyone run into this issue?  Any ideas of what we can do to fix it?  There is no way for us to use a DDNS update client on a PC or some server as most of these sites are networking gear only.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Muhammad_Haiqal

Hi Lokibjensen, some DNS provider did not support "set use-public-IP" command. You may consider to use FortiDDNS domain as it free.

haiqal
lokibjensen

Hi Muhammad, thanks for the response!  Unfortunately I don't believe there is a way to use that and keep our custom domain names.   I guess a workaround would be to create a webhop to redirect our domain to that one, but it's certainly not very elegant a solution.  Hoping someone here has another suggestion.  Thanks again!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors