Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jgauthier
New Contributor

Dual WAN Configuration Solution

Hi Everybody,   I thought I'd share this with you   Here is the issue I was faced with :   We wanted to have two wan connection for our remote location and we wanted them to be used the following way : WAN1 - Location internet access - IPSEC to HeadQuarters   WAN2 - Guest wireless for location - IPSEC Failover should WAN1 go down.   Both WAN LINKS are Dynamic   Problems : Since both links are dynamic, we can't use policy routing (for guest wifi) because that feature doesn't work with dynamic wan interfaces, you have to specify a gateway. We can't set the "distance" of the wan links the same because it makes the IPSEC Tunnel bounce from WAN1 to WAN2 continuously.   Solution part 1 : Use SD-WAN to be able to send traffic to a specific wan interface (wan2 for guests) without having to specify a default gateway. Problem with that solution is that Tunnel keeps boucing from WAN1 to WAN2 because the "distance" of the interface is the same (SD-WAN).   Solution part 2 : Use the "set monitor" option on the failover ipsec tunnel to the main ipsec tunnel. This way the failover ipsec tunnel only comes on when the first one is down. Thus ending the IPSEC tunnel boucing.   Tests have proven this solution to work.   If you have any comments and / suggestions, feel free to send them. JF
0 REPLIES 0
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors