Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kaplan
Contributor

Dial-up with IPv6

Dear People,

I have a Router with a mobile card and I get only a IPv6 Address from ISP.

But this address is not a fixed IP. I get every 24hours an other IPv6 Address.

Is there a way with Forti Dyndns to make a IPSec Connection to other Foritgate with IPv4 Address?

Thanx in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Kaplan,

Thank you for using the Community Forum.

I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
akristof
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Thank you for your question. You can use IPv4 or IPv6 for DDNS. So if your IP will change, DDNS will update it. I am not sure I understood your question about DDNS and connection to fortigate. If you are asking, if FortiGate can use DNS name in static site to site tunnel, then yes.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-IPsec-VPN-between-static-and-dynamic-IP-FQ...

Adrian
Kaplan

I created VPN Connections over IPv4 DynamicDNS.
On the Branch Fortigate I have a hybrid Router with bonding of DSL and Mobile Connection. Ther Router have Both methods with DSL and MobileCard. The DSL Connection get a IPv4 Address and the Mobile Card gets IPv6 Address.

The Ipsec VPN Connections start over the IPv4 Addresse. 
 In existing VPN Connection I get TimeOuts if I will reach the Website of the Branch from Headquarter. May be the cause is, that speeds over 6Mbits will go over the mobile card with the IPv6 Address.

I will know, if I can create a Ipsec Tunnel with a Fortigate on Headquarter with IPv4 and with a Fortigate on Branch with DDNS for IPv6 Address.

akristof

Hi.

Tunnel can negotiate over IPv4 or IPv6, but it depends on the config. So if you want to be able to have tunnel over both stacks, you will need 2 tunnels.

Adrian
Kaplan

Thanx for your answer,
have you got an example config to understand your minds:-)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors