Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

DUAL WAN - Link aggregation

Hi guys, We have 2 WAN links and I purchased a fortigate 800 device as it has this link aggregation feature. If I understand it correctly, link aggregation will combine the 2 WAN links and make them into 1 link so double the speed. However, we have 2 webservers which are load balanced and will make use of a VIP. The link aggregation feature does not support using a VIP? Is this correct? Can someone please guide me in the right direction so that our fortigate device is set up correctly for our website and also makes use of both our WAN links. Regards, Inder Lamba
8 REPLIES 8
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Hi, Link aggregation will NOT double your speed, it will double your load. For example: if you have 2 interfaces with 1Gb/s each, combined into a link aggregation, you can have 2 pc´s using 1 Gb/s each, but you can not have 1 pc using 2Gb/s. Doesn´t your VIP work at all ?

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Not applicable

Hi mate, Thanks for the response. I will attach a diagram of my setup soon to help with this issue. Regards,
Not applicable

Here is my proposed setup. Please note it is not setup at the moment as I need to call the cabler for deploying the 2nd telephone line. However, I thought it would be good to keep the architecture and plan ready. Can you please advise if this setup will work and ultimately help us achieve what we are after? The 2 links are from the same ISP. 1st link 24 Mbps Down and 1 Mbps Up 2nd link 24 Mbps Down and 1 Mbps Up Regards,
Maik
New Contributor II

1. Link aggregation interfaces do not work on PPoE interfaces 2. Link aggregation might be the wrong thing for your wan setup at all what is your goal? do you want to load balance your internal -> external traffic over the two wan lines? simple routing with ECMP might be the way. external -> internal (VIP' s) is a bit more tricky since you probably have two different public IP ranges with your two ISP' s. how you announce what route your clients should use?
Not applicable

Hi Maik, Thanks for your reply. My goal is to get more speed so that end users can connect to my website without any delays and get a better experience in terms of speed. Regarding ISP: The internet connections that I have are from the same ISP. If you suggest link aggregation might not be what I am looking for, can you please suggest for my website what is the best method of making use of 2 internet links with the fortigate? Regards,
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

ORIGINAL: ifanatic can you please suggest for my website what is the best method of making use of 2 internet links with the fortigate?
Increase your upload speed! 2MBps is SLOW......

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
MohanFC
New Contributor

Hi, For an incoming traffic to a specific VIP , Link aggregation would not work. Link aggregation would help only in a LAN scenario not the WAN. Link aggregation does not mean Bandwidth aggregation of Multiple ISP. It is used to increase the Port Density / redudancy, not the Bandwidth. Multiple WAN load Balancing would only be possible for Outbound traffic not for inbound traffic. Since Inbound traffic is hitting on a specific IP address that belongs to a Specific ISP. You might have to look at inbound load balancers to achieve the same. Hope this would provide clarity. Regards,
Not applicable

Hi rwpatterson , Thanks for your reply :) We will definitely update our links to SHDSL once we receive high traffic (start of next year). These will be 2 X 100 Mbps. Till now we are using Fortigate and these 2 links to test a couple of things. These are link aggregation, link failovers and so on. Once all the tests are successful, we will invest in upgrading the links. Regards,
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors