Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
James_G
Contributor III

Configuring routing fail-over (MPLS to VPN)

I am trying to get my head around if a scenario is possible, I will try and describe:

I have 4 sites, site A, B C and D, all connected via MPLS network, all internal networking is on the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet. I have static routes on the Fortigate devices pointing 10.0.0.0/8 towards MPLS for all sites - actual routing over the MPLS (BGP) is handled via service provider routers that I have no access to. Site A and B are head office sites, also have ISP links (direct to internet), default route 0.0.0.0 obviously points out to internet, site C and D only have MPLS. The MPLS link between site A and B is a SPOF that causes service issues. I need some sort of resilience. Putting in an IPSEC VPN between sites A and B over the internet is an option, but I am stuck with creating any automatic failover.

To complicate the matter, if we have a service interruption between site A and B over MPLS, I can't just use a link monitor to disable the port or static routes, because I cannot cause service issues to sites C and D, could be an issue where the issue is link to site A, so sites C and D are still working happily as they can still access site B.

What I really need is a link monitor where I can disable only specific static routes, so in the case of the failure above, site B still routes traffic to C and D over MPLS, but the traffic to site A is diverted to VPN tunnel.

Hope my ramble makes sense to someone. :)

Ta

J

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't know what 'SPOF' is and why only A-B fails while other combinations work over MPLS. But based on what I grasped about your situation, and by knowing link-monitor's route removal is interface-base, only option I can think of is to extend your MPLS provider's BGP domain to your FGT at A and B locations, so that your FGT would lose routes for the other side at A and B when it has problems. FGT side change should be relatively simple, adding new BGP config to set a neighbor for the provider's local router and set to advertise local subnets. You need to talk to the provider if they offer that arrangement.

James_G

Hi

SPOF = Single point of failure

To be more specific, key parts of my phone system IP PBX are at site B, I have 500 people at site A that cannot loose connectivity, but I also cannot have the 50 users per site at C and D experience lost connectivity

James_G

I think the long term solution is to configure the MPLS and VPN interfaces into a single SD-WAN interface, and use SD-WAN rules to direct the traffic, but implementing on a production firewall with 400 policies each is too much of an ask.

This might have to wait for when I have budget to replace the firewalls next April, and build the new units with SD-WAN interfaces from the get go.

ronildo1

Hello, its very simple if i understand what you trying to do.

If you wanna do a failover using MPLS, you simple just need to create a VPN MPLS, set a IP on the VPN tunnel interface A like 1.1.1.1 IP VPN Tunnel B 1.1.1.2 and then create your link monitor pointing to each IP side.

Change your  MPLS static router gateway for your VPNs MPLS created, and then make your test.

I did that and sucess of failover using static routes and mpls.   :)

parks_rec

ronildo@secureway.com.br wrote:

Hello, its very simple if i understand what you trying to do.

If you wanna do a failover using MPLS, you simple just need to create a VPN MPLS, set a IP on the VPN tunnel interface A like 1.1.1.1 IP VPN Tunnel B 1.1.1.2 and then create your link monitor pointing to each IP side.

Change your  MPLS static router gateway for your VPNs MPLS created, and then make your test.

I did that and sucess of failover using static routes and mpls.   :)

Did you notice any issues with latency by doing this? It seems unnecessary to have the firewall run a VPN over a private connection but I understand why. 

I'm running in to same question here about Linkmonitor removing all routes and not specific ones for a VPN backup to MPLS.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors