Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
myrdin
New Contributor

Captive Portal authentication does not work with Safari/MacOS

Hi,

I have set up a captive portal on the Fortigate. Everything works fine except the fact that MacBook running even El Capitan (latest versions) as soon as they hit the login page and they put user/pass, the page hangs. This happen only on Safari, in Chrome in the same machine where Safari was hanging, everything works and I can login.

Ideas?

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
gschmitt
Valued Contributor

So you are telling us that only Mac OSX El Capitan with Safari can't use the Captive Portal......

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You could look at the Source Code of the Captive Portal and check what the new Safari can't display correctly and change the page.

myrdin

Thanks for your reply. That is not correct. Even with earlier versions i am experiencing the same issue. Support is looking into this, also other colleagues that are using MACs are telling me that this is a known issue with Safari with any Captive portal (i.e. a lot of people cannot access airports networks because Safari tend to hangs on login page)

dlodovici

Hi,   I have a problem with the captive portal on the Fortigate too.

On Safari (version 8.0.6), I have this message: "Safari can't open the page because the connection was lost".

In Safari I have the good IP address in the URL (the FortiGate address), but I have not the login page.

Is it the same problem that you have ? Have you a solution ?

On the same MacBook, everything works fine with Mozilla Firefox.

thanks

myrdin

hi,

bug has been confirmed by support, no way around it. No ETA provided by support on whether or when they are going to resolve the issue. I was on 5.2.3 so maybe this has been resolved on 5.4, but still a lot of things seems to break moving to  5.4 (see the relevant thread on this forum). My suggestion is to wait until 5.4.1 gets release and give it a try.

dlodovici

I am on 5.2.3 .... I take your advice

Thank you myrdin

SecurityPlus

I need to add Captive Portal for a customer that will use a FortiGate 100D and FortiAP's. I have not deployed Captive Portal before. Is this problem with the Safari/MacOS only found on certain FortiOS firmware versions or does the problem apply to all FortiOS versions?

BlakeR

This is still an issue in 2020

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors