Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
laldana
New Contributor

Cannot ping to fortigate vlan interface

I have a Cisco core switch which is the one in charge of routing the internal traffic between VLANs everything in the internal communication is working fine I mean VLAN 20 has communication to any other VLAN in my organization nevertheless  I added a VLAN interface in my Fortigate 600C with FortiOS 5.0 build 0271 Patch 6

config system interface     edit "VLAN 20"         set vdom "root"         set ip 10.1.20.2 255.255.255.0         set allowaccess ping https         set snmp-index 35         set interface "port1"         set vlanid 20     next end

when I try to ping from a pc in the subnet and VLAN 20 gaves me the following error:

# diagnose debug flow show function-name enable # diagnose debug flow filter addr 10.1.20.3 # diagnose debug flow filter proto 1 # diagnose debug flow trace start 100 # id=13 trace_id=549 func=resolve_ip_tuple_fast line=4299 msg="vd-root received a packet(proto=1, 10.1.20.3:1->10.1.20.2:8) from VLAN 20." id=13 trace_id=549 func=init_ip_session_common line=4430 msg="allocate a new session-09c10f2f" id=13 trace_id=549 func=fw_local_in_handler line=360 msg="iprope_in_check() check failed, drop" id=13 trace_id=550 func=resolve_ip_tuple_fast line=4299 msg="vd-root received a packet(proto=1, 10.1.20.3:1->10.1.20.2:8) from VLAN 20." id=13 trace_id=550 func=init_ip_session_common line=4430 msg="allocate a new session-09c10f73" id=13 trace_id=550 func=fw_local_in_handler line=360 msg="iprope_in_check() check failed, drop"

The interface from the core switch to the fortigate is in trunk mode. 

I have read that when you add a subinterface in the fortigate you dont need to add a static route in the fortigate in order to ping to internal network, since is directly connected to the switch core.  Is this correct?

What am I missing here?  

Thanks in advance, 

1 Solution
Anne
New Contributor III

Have you put any IP restrictions on trusted Hosts for your admin accounts?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anne
New Contributor III

Have you put any IP restrictions on trusted Hosts for your admin accounts?

laldana
New Contributor

Thanks Anne,  that was my problem. 

By the way any advice in communicating VLANs. 

I have multiples VLANs and my core switch is routing all traffic through native VLAN 1 to the WAN through  a physical interface in the Fortigate for example port 1 with ip address 10.1.0.90 in the same port I created the VLAN 20 and VLAN 30  Interfaces.

I have already created policies from VLAN 20 to VLAN 30 and vicecersa in order to test inter VLAN communication with no luck I cant ping to VLAN 20 interface in Fortigate with an Ip address 10.1.20.2 from a PC with ip adress 10.1.30.3 in VLAN 30. 

Thanks for your help.

Anne
New Contributor III

Would you be able to draw it on a piece of paper and upload here. That will help us to understand the scenario ..

Just checking, Have you installed the Fortigate in transparent mode??

laldana
New Contributor

Anne thanks for your help. 

I have created a new thread.  

VLANs cant go to the internet. 

https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=122896&tree=true

I appreciate your help.

Best Regards,

Luis

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors