Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mortirolo
New Contributor

Cannot create Zone with same name as Physical port

I would like to create a zone called "dmz", my FG100D will not let me as it conflicts with a "duplicate" name dmz under physical ports. I changed the Switch mode to physical. Is this possible to rename the physical port to stop this Zone naming conflict.

100D # conf vdom 100D (vdom) # edit V1 current vf=V1:2 100D (V1) # config system zone 100D (zone) # edit name    Zone name. intranet 100D (zone) # edit dmz the name "dmz" conflicts with a system interface of the same name node_check_object fail! for name dmz value parse error before 'dmz' Command fail. Return code -553 100D (zone) #

100D # conf glo 100D (global) # conf sys int 100D (interface) # edit dmz   static   0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  down   disable   physical ha1   static   0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  up   disable   physical ha2   static   0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  up   disable   physical

3 REPLIES 3
Kenundrum
Contributor III

No I don't think it's possible to rename the physical ports. I use zones a lot in order to abstract the physical and logical connections- if a change to the physical connections on a device becomes necessary, i don't have to completely rework the ruleset. 

What i do is name the different interface items with a suffix for what it is. For example, there's the physical interface DMZ as well as DMZ_VLAN and DMZ_ZONE. That is probably your best bet.

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
mortirolo

yeah there doesn't seem to be anyway of changing a physical port name. I speak to our Fortigate expert in Nice, France every week, will find out for sure form him I hope.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No you can't craft a interface or zone using any "hard" names

That means you can't craft a interface named port1 or lan 

or a zone name port1 or port2

What you might do is if you  ultimately have to have  "DMZ"  is to look at case sensistively;

e.g

FGTFW01 (root) # config system zone 

FGTFW01 (zone) # show

FGTFW01 (zone) # edit PORT1

new entry 'PORT1' added

FGTFW01 (PORT1) # show

config system zone

edit "PORT1"

next

end

FGTFW01 (PORT1) # next 

FGTFW01 (zone) # edit port1

the name "port1" conflicts with a system interface of the same name

node_check_object fail! for name port1

value parse error before 'port1'

Command fail. Return code -553

I would caution NOT TODO THIS and take  the other ken's advice b4 me ;) Here's why

A: let's say you have a firewall with no DMZ interface defined

B: you managed to  craft a  zone named "DMZ"

C:  you later change to a model that has a "DMZ" interface

D: your  zone named "DMZ"  will conflict with the interface name

It's better just to name the zone with an extension  or prefix

e.g

ZONADMZ

DMZ_ZONE

ZONE_DMZ

Z_DMZ

DMZ_Z

etc........