Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Bubbabowski
New Contributor

BGP Set Community command

We're configuring our Internet circuit for BGP.  I've been instructed by our Network Provider to set our community to 100:999.  The 999 will allow for a subnet smaller than /24 to be announced.  What is the command or process to do this on the Fortigate 500e?

I believe it would be the Cisco equivalent of 'set community 100:999'

Thanks!

2 Solutions
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not sure if your provider accepts all your internal prefixes/routes advertised toward their end with the community, or just public subnets you got assigned from them. The community needs to be defined under "config router community-list". If you can/want to advertise all of them, you can follow the KB below:

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD31516

But even if it works for now, soon or later you need/want to control what to be advertised. At that time, you need to define prefix-lists and match them in the same route-map and filter out the rest.

View solution in original post

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

No. That's for filtering prefixes that already have a community attached.  More like below:

config router prefix-list

edit "public-net"

config rule

edit 1

set prefix 12.34.56.78 255.255.255.192

unset ge

unset le

next

end

next

end

config router route-map

edit "announce-public"

config rule

edit 1

set match-ip-address "public-net"

set set-community "COMM_LIST_NAME"

next

end

next

end

If it's assigned to one of FGT's interface, don't forget to enable "redistribute connected". If it's not in BGP table, above scheme wouldn't work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not sure if your provider accepts all your internal prefixes/routes advertised toward their end with the community, or just public subnets you got assigned from them. The community needs to be defined under "config router community-list". If you can/want to advertise all of them, you can follow the KB below:

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD31516

But even if it works for now, soon or later you need/want to control what to be advertised. At that time, you need to define prefix-lists and match them in the same route-map and filter out the rest.

Bubbabowski

You are correct.  We want to advertise the prefix of a public IP Block that we own.  Example, but not really our IP Block:

config neighbor

edit 1.1.1.1

set local-as 65001

set prefix 12.34.45.67/26

Is this how you are recommending making the route-map change:

http://help.fortinet.com/cli/fos50hlp/56/Content/FortiOS/fortiOS-cli-ref-56/config/router/community-...

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

No. That's for filtering prefixes that already have a community attached.  More like below:

config router prefix-list

edit "public-net"

config rule

edit 1

set prefix 12.34.56.78 255.255.255.192

unset ge

unset le

next

end

next

end

config router route-map

edit "announce-public"

config rule

edit 1

set match-ip-address "public-net"

set set-community "COMM_LIST_NAME"

next

end

next

end

If it's assigned to one of FGT's interface, don't forget to enable "redistribute connected". If it's not in BGP table, above scheme wouldn't work.

Bubbabowski

Thank you for the explanation.  Please forgive my ignorance, but how would I apply this to bgp?

Like this?

config router bgp

config neighbor

edit 1.1.1.1

set route-map-out "announce-public"

Also, where to enable "redistribute connected"?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

You have to cofigure the neighbor as in the first KB I referred. Then you can refer to the route-map in the "route-map-out" statement.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors