Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
soundxplorer
New Contributor

60E USB slot for 4G vs. Cradlepoint or built-in SIM card

I have a 60E, and I'm curious about the USB functionality that would let me plug in a 4G modem to add another WAN connection. My question is, would this USB connection have all the same functionality and speed compared to getting an external Cradlepoint (or other device) and using that on my WAN2 port instead?

I think that speed would depend entirely on 4G reception in the area and my data plan, but I might be wrong. And what about functionality? I would need to use this second WAN link for an IPSec tunnel connecting to another site. Could I do that over the USB modem? I guess my main question is, would there be any difference at all between these two 4G connection methods?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi soundxplorer,

As per your query, yes you can use USB for 4G modem to add another WAN connection to the fortigate. In regards to the speed, it is more specific to the 4G service provider and the reception in the area. 
Also using cradlepoint is a good alternative as well, however, you can also use Fortiextender which is so far the best solution for 4G.

Fortinet FortiExtender leverages the scalability and flexibility of LTE (3G and 4G) and 5G wireless WAN to empower you to grow more connected, across operations and devices located anywhere and everywhere.

FortiExtender offers wireless connectivity for nearly any operational network. Whether mobile sites, vehicle fleets, field forces, or OT and IoT environments, a FortiExtender solution exists to help you achieve resilient and high-performance connectivity, anywhere.

Please check the following link to find the supported modem.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-view-the-3G-4G-supported-modem-list... 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors