Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
brycemd
Contributor II

40F Firmware Support

Just ordered our first 40F and I'm just looking through the supported versions... It seems I have a choice of 6.0.6 or 6.4.0 and that's pretty much it. No other releases seem to have firmware for the 40F, not the later 6.0.x's or any 6.2.x or the most recent 6.4.1. Was purchasing a 40F a bad call? Why are there more recent firmware on 6.0.x and 6.2.x for 60F and 100F models but not the 40F?

6 REPLIES 6
James_G
Contributor III

The firmware in 6.4.1 is not just the 40. The 60 and 100f are missing also.
stoicism

Any thoughts you could share of your experience with the 40F? I believe it has 1.8GB of memory and would be interested in how much storage it has also if you know - not in the guides. The SOC4 addition seems to give it a boost on the UTM processing.

brycemd

Well, it seems to perform quite well so far. It kind of leaves the 60F in an odd scenario where I'm not quite sure were it fits in. The 40F has similar specs/performance to the 60F other than port count and the 80F apparently brings in a dual PSU so the 60F is kind of positioned oddly it seems.

I'm not sure what you mean by storage though, only x1 models have storage and I don't believe there is a 41F. At least not yet.

stoicism

Thanks - on my list to secure small remote offices. To me it looks like a throughput modelling exercise between the 40/60Fs - the specs are pretty high though for each.

With regard to the storage, I was referring to the Flash size from the "get hardware status" command. It should have the RAM there also which I saw on another thread as 1800MB.

Thanks again.

brycemd

40F:

Model name: FortiGate-40F ASIC version: SOC4 CPU: ARMv8 Number of CPUs: 4 RAM: 1820 MB EMMC: 3662 MB(MLC) /dev/mmcblk0 Hard disk: not available USB Flash: not available Network Card chipset: FortiASIC NP6XLITE Adapter (rev.)

60F:

Model name: FortiGate-60F ASIC version: SOC4 CPU: ARMv8 Number of CPUs: 8 RAM: 1919 MB EMMC: 3662 MB(MLC) /dev/mmcblk0 Hard disk: not available USB Flash: not available Network Card chipset: FortiASIC NP6XLITE Adapter (rev.)

ameif56hgt
New Contributor II

I have a 40F.  You can use firmware 6.4.0, or 6.2.4, or 6.0.10. They haven't released a 6.4.1 yet, for some unknown reason. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors