Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jai_Kishore
New Contributor

3G/4G configuration

Dear All,

We recently purchased a Fortigate 30D for 3G configuration. The modem is HUAWEI 3727s which is not in predefined modem list. I am trying to configure custom modem.In order to configure a custom Modem we need Product ID, Vendor ID and Init sting.But I am facing a problem in finding the "init sting"

1. I have enabled the modem at config system modem (enable)

2.I gave command at CLI "#fnsysctl cat /proc/bus/usb/devices". and got the Product ID and Vendor ID

Now I try to figure out the "init sting" by giving the command "# diag sys mod com" and the output is 

Serial port: /dev/ttyusb1 Do not run this command when modem is dialing or connected! Press Ctrl+W to exit. AT+CGMI huawei OK AT+CGMM E3272 OK AT+CGSN 862601021321791 OK ^MODE: 3,3 ^RSSI: 9 ^SRVST: 2 ^RSSI: 8 AT^SYSINFO ^SYSINFO:2,3,0,3,1,,3 OK AT+CREG? +CREG: 0,1 OK AT+COPS? +COPS: 0,0,"airtel",0 OK AT+CSQ +CSQ: 7,0 OK ^RSSI: 7 AT&V COMMAND NOT SUPPORT ^SRVST: 0 ^SRVST: 1 ^RSSI: 17 ^SRVST: 0 ^SRVST: 4

Here where is the "init sting". Because if it is not match the dialing cannot be progressed. Can any one help me

Regards,

Jai Kishore

5 REPLIES 5
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

hi,

first, you should get the details right when posting - a Huawei 3727s is NOT a Huawei 3272! Check the type again and correct that please, it does make a difference when dealing with init strings (it's "stRing", not "sting", that is something different...).

The init string is a piece of code to switch a USB modem from mass storage mode into modem mode. It's specific for each model. You should google for "Huawei E3272 initstring", sometimes the Linux community publishes these detail information.

OTOH you could install a modem software (vodafone dialer or such) and manually switch the modem. That has worked at least once for me.

Last, make sure there is no PIN installed for the modem, or you would have to use the "AT+CPIN" command in the init sequence to supply it.

IMHO all of this webstick modem thing is a PITA (sorry). My advice would be to start with the "supported modems list" and get one of these models, like a Huawei E173. On a Fortigate these work out of the box. On the FortiExtender, that may be different though.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Jai_Kishore
New Contributor

Hi Ede,

Sorry for my wrong update you are right the device is E3272, And that is "init string" . We already purchased this device. Well I tried "AT+CPIN" in the init sequence, but its not responding.I have raised a ticket with fortinet technical support.

Regards,

Jai Kishore

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

jai,

does your modem and sim use a pin? You can't just pass information to a modem without providing some basic knowledge of what the modem has currently.

What I've done has been to  plug the modem into   computer and execute the modem AT cmd directly to find out what's required or not. I would start by querying the modem directly

eg

ATI

And then build the modem profile and correct values for your dialup services & init-string if required. You might need to build two profile for the same modem.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

You only add the "AT+CPIN" command to the init IF the SIM card is protected by a PIN. IMHO you should remove the PIN (using a PC) before using it in the modem.

emnoc is right, without some knowledge you will have a hard time getting this modem to work. As Fortinet doesn't have this model on the supported list I'd be surprised if they could help you. Maybe they could give you a hint where or how to obtain the matching init string.

The crucial part of the modem configuration is the switch from mass storage mode to modem mode, and for this you need a "mode-switch" string. It's a string of hex digits, device specific, and can't be guessed.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Jai_Kishore
New Contributor

Hi Ken and Ede,

Thanks for your reply.I am new to this modem configuration can you explain bit clear.

Regards,

Jai

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors