FortiSIEM Discussions
GidonT
New Contributor II

WEC into FortiSIEM - Can't see the forwarded logs

Hi community, 

I hope someone in the community might have a suggestion for the issue I'm facing - 

I have set up a WEF from two different windows machines into a Windows Server configured as the WEC. 
All event logs from the two WEF machines are received at the WEC and are fully visible in the EVENT Viewer under "Forwarded Events". 

I have installed a FortiSiem agent on the WEC and configured to pull ALL events. 
for some reason I still can't see any indications of logs from the two WEF machines and can see only logs from the WEC. 

I have followed all installation and configuration i could find on the matter but still can't identify the required logs. 

are there any special configurations i should set in the FortiSiem or any other machine which will make the Forwarded events from the two WEF be digested into the fortisiem ? 

any help will be appreciated. 

1 Solution
GidonT
New Contributor II

Hi @premchanderr

Thanks for you reply, the issue was solved.

For anyone trying to use the WEF / WEC configuration in the future and will see this post, there are some key pointers to check - 
1. The agent version should have an exact match with the SIEM version. 
2. For FortiSIEM to identify and parse the logs correctly – A separate Windows Agent Template should be created for the WEF logs which includes the name of the EVENT LOGS from the WEC:

- Right click on the “Forwarded Logs” (in the WEC Event Viewer) and copy the name into the Windows Agent Template in the following location -
Windows Agent Monitor Template ==> Event ==> Type : "Other" ==> EventName.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
premchanderr
Staff
Staff

Hi @GidonT ,

There would be some error in this. Could you apply the template and after ten mins look into the Analytics > events  for any errors. 

Regards,
Prem Chander R
GidonT
New Contributor II

Hi @premchanderr

Thanks for you reply, the issue was solved.

For anyone trying to use the WEF / WEC configuration in the future and will see this post, there are some key pointers to check - 
1. The agent version should have an exact match with the SIEM version. 
2. For FortiSIEM to identify and parse the logs correctly – A separate Windows Agent Template should be created for the WEF logs which includes the name of the EVENT LOGS from the WEC:

- Right click on the “Forwarded Logs” (in the WEC Event Viewer) and copy the name into the Windows Agent Template in the following location -
Windows Agent Monitor Template ==> Event ==> Type : "Other" ==> EventName.

premchanderr
Staff
Staff

Thank you @GidonT , glad to know that issue has been solved. 

Regards,
Prem Chander R
Announcements

Welcome to your new Fortinet Community!

You'll find your previous forum posts under "Forums"