FortiGate Next Generation Firewall utilizes purpose-built security processors and threat intelligence security services from FortiGuard labs to deliver top-rated protection and high performance, including encrypted traffic.
This article describes how to solve an issue where, when the FortiGate firewall is upgraded from any 6.4.x firmware to 7.0.(2-11), any interface named 'default’ is deleted.
# edit "default"
set vdom "root"
set ip 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
set allowaccess ping https ssh snmp http telnet fgfm fabric
set snmp-index 31
set switch-controller-feature default-vlan
set interface "Fortilink"
set vlanid 1
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1) Upgrade to 7.0.1 GA. This will ensure that, during the upgrade process, any interface named 'default' will be renamed to '_default'.
2) Upgrade to the latest or target 7.0.x GA image.
There are certain FortiGate models that do not have 7.0.1 firmware available. If this is the case, it is necessary to change the interface named 'default' manually. To change the interface name, follow these steps:
1) Backup the firewall configuration.
2) Change the interface name with a text editor and save the file.
3) Restore the configuration backup to the firewall.
The Fortinet Security Fabric brings together the concepts of convergence and consolidation to provide comprehensive cybersecurity protection for all users, devices, and applications and across all network edges.