FortiGate Azure Discussions & Onboarding Information
MartScho
New Contributor

Win10 with GNS3 with FGT VMs, but which type of FGT VM?

We want to set up an SD-WAN / ADVPN / etc. lab in Azure. Base should be a Win10 Pro VM in Azure. On this machine GNS3 would be installed.
Inside GNS3 we want to set up some FGT VMs to simulate SD-WAN, ADVPN, etc.

We want to do it this way to have a network/routing behaviour like in the 'real' world, not the type of cloud networking/routing.
(Of course we would love to run this on hardware, but we do not have the necessary hardware lab equipment available.)

In the scenario described above, which type of FGT VM should we use? KVM, like in the real world, or something else?
Any help or ideas appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
MartScho
New Contributor

It seems I have found the information that I needed.
Microsoft Azure Lab descriptions pointed directly to a GNS3 documentation page covering the GNS3 marketplace: https://docs.gns3.com/docs/using-gns3/beginners/install-from-marketplace/

In the GNS3 marketplace there are only KVM images available, covering also FortiGate and FortiManager.
This is what I had in mind, as KVM is the VM image type which is needed in 'standard' GNS3 environments, but things could have been different when implementing this scenario in Azure.
I plan to leave this thread open, until I have found some time to implement this lab. This could take some days or two weeks...
Please feel free to post any additional information, if you have experience or ideas on this.
Thanks.

JoerVan
Staff
Staff

Hi,

The Azure Labs documentation is very good. You will be using nested virtualization. Your GNS3 will run as a VM on Hyper-V in Windows and in that VM you will be running your FortiGate and FortiManager based on KVM. You will need to verify that your instance type in Azure support nested virtualization.

Regards,

Joeri

Eat, breathe, sleep cloud
MartScho

Although I knew this already, thanks for the hint, Joeri
Might be helpful for others, too.

Regards, Martin

Announcements

Welcome to your new Fortinet Community!

You'll find your previous forum posts under "Forums"