This article describes how to use a custom event handler in FortiAnalyzer to raise alerts for incident response related to attacks that attempt to leverage the Redigo attack.
A report is also provided to gain historical visibility into the logs.
Note that this article provides alpha files that are automatically generated.
The article will be continually updated as more information becomes available.
This article contains the files necessary to load an event handler and report into the FortiAnalyzer for either a Fabric ADOM or a FortiGate ADOM.
The Fabric report and event handler leverage log from other Fortinet products that can be used to detect the attack in addition to FortiGate logs.
For more information about this attack, see the following FortiGuard Outbreak Alert: https://www.fortiguard.com/outbreak-alert/redigo-attack
What is included in Fortinet_redigo_attack.zip:
This event handler helps identify the Redigo attacks detected by FortiGates and other Fortinet products.
This report displays the findings on Redigo attacks from FortiGates and other Fortinet products.
The event handler for FortiGate ADOMs is configured for FortiGate logs only.
The report for FortiGate ADOMs includes FortiGate charts only.
1) Download the Fortinet_redigo_attack.zip file (contains 4 files).
2) Unzip Fortinet_redigo_attack.zip.
3) Import redigo_attack_event-handler.json or fgt_redigo_attack_event-handler.json event handler:
- Choose an ADOM (if ADOMs are enabled). The ADOM may be of type Fabric or FortiGate.
- Choose the FortiSOC module.
- Select Event Handler List.
- Select the Import option under More.
- Select the appropriate event handler depending on the
The event handler is enabled and will be triggered if the appropriate logs are received following the import of the event handler.
Edit the event handler to customize the notification section.
4) Import redigo_attack_report.dat or fgt_redigo_attack_report.dat to Reports:
- Choose an ADOM (if ADOMs are enabled). ADOM may be of type Fabric or FortiGate.
- Select the appropriate file for the ADOM type to add the report to the ADOM.
The redigo_attack_report can be run anytime as determined by an admin user.
The Fortinet Security Fabric brings together the concepts of convergence and consolidation to provide comprehensive cybersecurity protection for all users, devices, and applications and across all network edges.
Copyright 2023 Fortinet, Inc. All Rights Reserved.