FortiADC
FortiADC enhances the scalability, performance, and security of your applications whether they are hosted on premises or in the cloud.
jamesqliu_FTNT
Article Id 195192

Description
This article shows Unexpected probe failure / fine-tuning probe parameters.

Server up-down log messages are received:

Dec 12 11:35:08 Z6JLB001HY acvd[8749]: |w|P HY-Intra-inhit_small2;i HY_SORRY;|02000000: Server Instance server1 in Pool HY-Intra-inhit_small2 has gone TCP ACV DOWN||

Dec 12 11:35:08 Z6JLB001HY acvd[484]: |a|P HY-Intra-inhit_small2;i HY_SORRY;|02000187: State Change: (Server ACV Check) Server Instance  server1 in Pool HY-Intra-inhit_small2 has gone TCP ACV DOWN. ||

Dec 12 11:35:09 Z6JLB001HY acvd[8749]: |w|P HY-Intra-inhit_small2;i HY_SORRY;|02000000: Server Instance server1 in Pool HY-Intra-inhit_small2 has gone TCP ACV UP||

Dec 12 11:35:09 Z6JLB001HY acvd[484]: |a|P HY-Intra-inhit_small2;i HY_SORRY;|02000187: State Change: (Server ACV Check) Server Instance server1 in Pool HY-Intra-inhit_small2 has gone TCP ACV UP. ||

Scope

FortiADC

Solution

A server must respond to both TCP and ACV probes before the probe timeout elapses.

In a network configuration where

1) There is high latency between server probes and responses.
or
2) There are many CRC errors.

The probe mechanism may falsely report that a server is down.  This is indicated by messages in the event log indicating that a server is down and then comes back up again after a short period of time.

We can fine-tune the ACV health check timer to avoid unnecessary probe failures.

For example, if the probe parameters are set to interval 60, probe_maxtries are set at 2.

• So if a single probe fails and the timing is such that the next probe occurs slightly late, 60 seconds may go by without a good probe, and the SI will be marked down.
  • If the next probe succeeds, the server will immediately be marked up.

To reduce the sensitivity of the probes, increase probe_maxtries.

For more information on fine-tuning probes, see the section entitled 'Configuring UDP and TCP Parameters' in the FortiADC Admin Guide.

Contributors