Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

nbctcp
New Contributor III

limited lifetime warranty

https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=185780

https://www.avfirewalls.com/FortiSwitch-124D.asp
I see there "limited lifetime warranty"

QUESTIONS:
1. is that means if faulty, I'll get replacement if the hardware still available
2. is that global warranty or local warranty only, because I was asking Fortinet Indonesia guy, he doesn't know FortiSwitch has "Limited Lifetime Warranty"
3. if I bought from eBay and bring to Indonesia.
Can I transfer ownership?

tq

------------------------------
http://goo.gl/lhQjmU
http://nbctcp.wordpress.com
------------------------------
http://goo.gl/lhQjmUhttp://nbctcp.wordpress.com
1 Solution
JameAlle

Team,

Fortinet offers a limited lifetime warranty on all FortiSwitches I've tried to address questions and provide clarity below.

Q: What is the FortiSwitch Warranty Policy?

A: FortiSwitch offers a Limited Lifetime warranty on all FortiSwitch models. Prior to January 1, 2018 the warranty was limited to 10 years this limitation was removed. 

Q: Do I have to have a support contract?

A: No support contract is necessary, however the warranty is only valid for products which are properly registered on Fortinet's Support Website, https://support.fortinet.com

Q: What does Limited Lifetime mean?

A: Limited lifetime warranty is an industry standard that offers hardware replacement if a product is found defective over its vendor defined lifetime. 

Q: What is included in the LLW? What is covered?

A: All FortiSwitch models are covered, specifically all internal hardware, excluding external power supplies, fans and accessories which have a ninety (90) days limited warranty.

Q: Who is covered?

A: Fortinet provides this limited warranty for its product only to the single end user person or entity that originally purchased the product from Fortinet or its authorized reseller or distributor, it is not transferable.

Q: Is the limited Lifetime warranty transferable?

A: No

Q: How do I make a warranty claim?

A: Once your product is registered as required on Fortinet's Support Website, https://support.fortinet.com, you contact support to request a warranty return. Additional troubleshooting may be required to ensure a hardware failure.

Q: Should I purchase a Support Contract for my FortiSwitch?

A: A support contract is always recommended and offers a defined timeframe for the replacement of your hardware.

Q: Will I get my same switch back?

A: There is no guarantee that you will receive the same hardware back in return.

Please note: The statements in this FAQ document in no way conflict or supersede with the master Fortinet Warranty policy EULA found here: https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/legal/EULA.pdf

Regards,

James Allen

Director of Product and Solutions,

Secure Access

MessageImages_8b9d818455b34709b04fb6e84fa1605f.png

E: jamesallen@fortinet.com
M: (415) 308-5460
NSE Certified: Level 3
899 Kifer Road | Sunnyvale, CA 94086

FortinetLogosig1550861636.pngE: jamesallen@fortinet.com
www.fortinet.com             Fortinetsocialtwitternew1550866064.png    Fortinetsociallinkedinnew1550866125.png    Fortinetsocialfbnew1550866196.png   Fortinetsocialinstagramnew1550866291.png    Fortinetsocialblognew1550866342.png
Secure Remote Access for Your Workforce at Scale

*** Please note that this message and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary material and information and are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies, whether electronic or printed. Please also note that any views, opinions, conclusions or commitments expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of Fortinet, Inc., its affiliates, and emails are not binding on Fortinet and only a writing manually signed by Fortinet's General Counsel can be a binding commitment of Fortinet to Fortinet's customers or partners. Thank you. ***

------Original Message------

In regards to other vendors and a limited lifetime warranty, nearly all major switching vendors provide this on the mid and low end switches for the life of a switch. This includes Return to Factory hardware support as well as major release firmware updates all for the life of the switch.

• Bryan

Bryan Welch

Sr. Systems Engineer

MessageImages_1a2dec31fd524a0ea98e0a3883700819.png

E: bwelch@fortinet.com
M: 206.920.6407 
NSE Certified

----------------------------------------------------

www.fortinet.com   MessageImages_776b23a47b8a4b29ac6f6c21eac5680c.png  MessageImages_6351e2231b3c4f04873ffd6d316bd41e.png MessageImages_543e8ee79a4948c3a9a2a35019e7034d.png MessageImages_0a3da603b2fc46d7bad4b2059fa0f9aa.png  MessageImages_209d9b18fe7e447ab3f5b6ccbdcc858c.png  

MessageImages_b5770c2f5545416b9ee6a41511796437.pngMessageImages_d855e1b6b38641d084ada6b2cb8540c6.jpg

*** Please note that this message and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary material and information and are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies, whether electronic or printed. Please also note that any views, opinions, conclusions or commitments expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of Fortinet, Inc., its affiliates, and emails are not binding on Fortinet and only a writing manually signed by Fortinet's General Counsel can be a binding commitment of Fortinet to Fortinet's customers or partners. Thank you. ***

James Allen Director of Product and Solutions, LAN Edge

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jphoeke
New Contributor

1. This might be if you purchase the unit from AVFirewalls. Fortinet will only do this if you have an active support contract on a unit. This is similar to most other vendors.
2. Again, that would depend on the level of warranty that you purchased.
3. Having purchased several Fortinet devices on ebay over the years, they have greatly tightened the process to transfer them. In order to do that now, you will need to have the current registered owner initiate a ticket to have the serial number transferred to your account. In effect the serial number needs to be pushed to your account by the current owner rather than you grabbing the serial number and having it placed in your account.
BryaWelc

In regards to other vendors and a limited lifetime warranty, nearly all major switching vendors provide this on the mid and low end switches for the life of a switch. This includes Return to Factory hardware support as well as major release firmware updates all for the life of the switch.

• Bryan

JameAlle

Team,

Fortinet offers a limited lifetime warranty on all FortiSwitches I've tried to address questions and provide clarity below.

Q: What is the FortiSwitch Warranty Policy?

A: FortiSwitch offers a Limited Lifetime warranty on all FortiSwitch models. Prior to January 1, 2018 the warranty was limited to 10 years this limitation was removed. 

Q: Do I have to have a support contract?

A: No support contract is necessary, however the warranty is only valid for products which are properly registered on Fortinet's Support Website, https://support.fortinet.com

Q: What does Limited Lifetime mean?

A: Limited lifetime warranty is an industry standard that offers hardware replacement if a product is found defective over its vendor defined lifetime. 

Q: What is included in the LLW? What is covered?

A: All FortiSwitch models are covered, specifically all internal hardware, excluding external power supplies, fans and accessories which have a ninety (90) days limited warranty.

Q: Who is covered?

A: Fortinet provides this limited warranty for its product only to the single end user person or entity that originally purchased the product from Fortinet or its authorized reseller or distributor, it is not transferable.

Q: Is the limited Lifetime warranty transferable?

A: No

Q: How do I make a warranty claim?

A: Once your product is registered as required on Fortinet's Support Website, https://support.fortinet.com, you contact support to request a warranty return. Additional troubleshooting may be required to ensure a hardware failure.

Q: Should I purchase a Support Contract for my FortiSwitch?

A: A support contract is always recommended and offers a defined timeframe for the replacement of your hardware.

Q: Will I get my same switch back?

A: There is no guarantee that you will receive the same hardware back in return.

Please note: The statements in this FAQ document in no way conflict or supersede with the master Fortinet Warranty policy EULA found here: https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/legal/EULA.pdf

Regards,

James Allen

Director of Product and Solutions,

Secure Access

MessageImages_8b9d818455b34709b04fb6e84fa1605f.png

E: jamesallen@fortinet.com
M: (415) 308-5460
NSE Certified: Level 3

FortinetLogosig1550861636.pngE: jamesallen@fortinet.com
www.fortinet.com             Fortinetsocialtwitternew1550866064.png    Fortinetsociallinkedinnew1550866125.png    Fortinetsocialfbnew1550866196.png   Fortinetsocialinstagramnew1550866291.png    Fortinetsocialblognew1550866342.png
Secure Remote Access for Your Workforce at Scale

------Original Message------

• Bryan

Bryan Welch

Sr. Systems Engineer

MessageImages_1a2dec31fd524a0ea98e0a3883700819.png

E: bwelch@fortinet.com
M: 206.920.6407 
NSE Certified

www.fortinet.com   MessageImages_776b23a47b8a4b29ac6f6c21eac5680c.png  MessageImages_6351e2231b3c4f04873ffd6d316bd41e.png MessageImages_543e8ee79a4948c3a9a2a35019e7034d.png MessageImages_0a3da603b2fc46d7bad4b2059fa0f9aa.png  MessageImages_209d9b18fe7e447ab3f5b6ccbdcc858c.png  

MessageImages_b5770c2f5545416b9ee6a41511796437.pngMessageImages_d855e1b6b38641d084ada6b2cb8540c6.jpg

James Allen Director of Product and Solutions, LAN Edge
ChriTyle1

Cisco does not provide maintenance support or software if you do not have an active contract.  They did give you one year of support a long time ago but that is not the case anymore.  Further if you buy a used Cisco switch from eBay and not an authorized dealer, it is considered "gray market" and Cisco will not let you buy maintenance support.  Again without maintenance support, you cannot download IOS upgrades for Cisco equipment, receive help, and RMA a product through normal means.  They may allow a replacement if you can prove the hardware is bad but that is not so easy without support unless it just dies all together.  But still I don't think they will replace it, however, unless you have the clout of a big customer.
BryaWelc

In the case of the Catalyst 9200 and 2960X/XR, there is a "Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty".

From their site:

Cisco Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty

WARR-ELTD-LIFE-HW

Warranty duration: As long as the original end user continues to own or use the product.

In the event of discontinuance of product manufacture, Cisco warranty support is limited to 5 years from the announcement of discontinuance (The Last Date of Service, LDoS, set by Cisco's End of Life process).

Hardware replacement: Where available, Cisco or its service center will use commercially reasonable efforts to ship a replacement part for next-day replacement. Where next business day is not available, a replacement will be shipped the same business day if the RMA is received before the fulfillment warehouse cut-off time. Actual delivery times might vary depending on customer location.

Warranty includes 90 days of Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support during local business hours, 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.

Hardware warranty commences from the date of shipment to customer (and in case of resale by a Cisco reseller, not more than 90 days after original shipment by Cisco).

Warranty allows guest access only to Cisco.com.

• Bryan

ChriTyle1

Bryan,

I did not realize that.  I have installed X/XR models for customers but I did not get involved with the sales in those particular cases.  That is good to know.

Thank you,
Chris