Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

jsav
New Contributor

What is the process to move a client from one AP to another

Using system director 8.1

I have watched the fortinet-meru video about how the controller controls the client roaming decisions, but I am wondering what configurations if any are needed and how the process actually works. I assume it's based on an RSSI threshold

Does the AP send a deauth with reason code 17?

1 Solution
bandersen_FTNT

Hi Andrew

The short version. A client is connected to the virtual bssid, instead of the individual bssid comming from the radio itself. Therefore the station will not disconnect from the bssid, as bssid stays the same all time. the controller will change the underlaying AP/radio to support the client, ie sending/recieving frames from the client.So in the station-log you can see an event when the controller decide to hand-off a client from one AP to next AP. This hand-off trigger is best on RSSI values comming from AP's around the client.

Thanks

Brian

Regards

Brian, at Fortinet

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
bandersen_FTNT

Hi Andrew

The short version. A client is connected to the virtual bssid, instead of the individual bssid comming from the radio itself. Therefore the station will not disconnect from the bssid, as bssid stays the same all time. the controller will change the underlaying AP/radio to support the client, ie sending/recieving frames from the client.So in the station-log you can see an event when the controller decide to hand-off a client from one AP to next AP. This hand-off trigger is best on RSSI values comming from AP's around the client.

Thanks

Brian

Regards

Brian, at Fortinet

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.