Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

OlofL
New Contributor

Old MC1500 and MeruAP310/320. Can I upgrade SD?

Hello,

I am taking over operations on a site with an old MC1500 that is out of support. They have Meru AP310 and AP320 with a MC1500 which runs SD 4.0-150. 

I ran into two problems, I can only enable one radio at a time. Aren't the APs dual band? Do I have to power them with 802.3at? Our switch only have 802.3af. 

The lowest version SD I can find is 6.x. Can I make that big of a jump from SD 4.0-150? 

1 Solution
Venkat_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Please see the attached file for the upgrade path

The AP configuration is listed below

AP320 : Two dual-band 802.11n radios with 3x3 MIMO

AP310: Single dual-band 802.11n radio with 3x3 MIMO

MC1500 is EOL

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Venkat_FTNT
Staff
Staff

MC1500 is EOL

OlofL

Thank you so much for the information, and the upgrade path. When I took a closer look on the download links I have in the support meru site, I can only download MC1550 SD 6.x to 8.x.

Is it possible to find the SD 5.0, SD 5.1, SD 5.3-164 and SD 6.1-4-0 for the MC1500 somewhere? 

In Reply to Venkataraman Ayyer:

MC1500 is EOL

Venkat_FTNT

The MC1500 is EOL product, so no firmware images are available.  The best option is to upgrade to a higher model , to take advantage of the latest and greatest features and also the ability to use the newer 11ac access points. 

GeofStot

Hi I have a similar situation I’d like to update the firmware on my MC1500

It may be EOF but the unit functions and I hate wasting money on new kit just because the manufactures try and force us to upgrade hardware. Can anybody supply links to firmware downloads?

OlofL
New Contributor

I was never able to find an upgrade for that specific controller?

I ended up telling our customer they had to buy new hardware. Their AP's where so old anyways, they jumped from "mixed mode" 2,4/5- ghz  (one at a time band) to new 802.11ac AP's. They where happy after all.

Also I recommend the new Fortinet controllers, since their software has gotten much better, specifically the ARRP (http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-wireless-54/wifi-arrp.htm) which wasn't a thing on the Meru ones. I never liked virtual cell mode.

jacklin
New Contributor

Yes, It can be updated to sd 7.07