Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

OlofL
New Contributor

Old MC1500 and MeruAP310/320. Can I upgrade SD?

Hello,

I am taking over operations on a site with an old MC1500 that is out of support. They have Meru AP310 and AP320 with a MC1500 which runs SD 4.0-150. 

I ran into two problems, I can only enable one radio at a time. Aren't the APs dual band? Do I have to power them with 802.3at? Our switch only have 802.3af. 

The lowest version SD I can find is 6.x. Can I make that big of a jump from SD 4.0-150? 

1 Solution
Venkat_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Please see the attached file for the upgrade path

The AP configuration is listed below

AP320 : Two dual-band 802.11n radios with 3x3 MIMO

AP310: Single dual-band 802.11n radio with 3x3 MIMO

MC1500 is EOL

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Venkat_FTNT
Staff
Staff

MC1500 is EOL

OlofL

Thank you so much for the information, and the upgrade path. When I took a closer look on the download links I have in the support meru site, I can only download MC1550 SD 6.x to 8.x.

Is it possible to find the SD 5.0, SD 5.1, SD 5.3-164 and SD 6.1-4-0 for the MC1500 somewhere? 

In Reply to Venkataraman Ayyer:

MC1500 is EOL

Venkat_FTNT

The MC1500 is EOL product, so no firmware images are available.  The best option is to upgrade to a higher model , to take advantage of the latest and greatest features and also the ability to use the newer 11ac access points. 

GeofStot

Hi I have a similar situation I’d like to update the firmware on my MC1500

It may be EOF but the unit functions and I hate wasting money on new kit just because the manufactures try and force us to upgrade hardware. Can anybody supply links to firmware downloads?

OlofL
New Contributor

I was never able to find an upgrade for that specific controller?

I ended up telling our customer they had to buy new hardware. Their AP's where so old anyways, they jumped from "mixed mode" 2,4/5- ghz  (one at a time band) to new 802.11ac AP's. They where happy after all.

Also I recommend the new Fortinet controllers, since their software has gotten much better, specifically the ARRP (http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-wireless-54/wifi-arrp.htm) which wasn't a thing on the Meru ones. I never liked virtual cell mode.

jacklin
New Contributor

Yes, It can be updated to sd 7.07

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.