Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

CNelson
New Contributor

Nintendo Wii and Meru

details: Controller: MC1500 ver: 5.3-164 and AP320's.

We have the following Meru set-up. Everything connects except the Nintendo Wii's. Other gaming systems connect, Apple products connect etc.

We have 2 security profiles set upone supporting WPA2-PSK/ CCMP-AES and the other WPA PSK/TKIP. We have one SSID, but only one of the security profiles is tied to it - the WPA2-PSK/CCMP-AES. From what I can see.

Someone from another forum had suggested that Nintendo Wiis had trouble with WPA and we should "enable a WPA guest network on the router and MAC filter down to just specific devices." I am not sure how to do this.

I inherited this setup and now am trying to address the Wii issue.

Are their other thoughts on what might be preventing the Wiis from connecting? If the suggestion above is something that might work, could you please provide some guidance on how I can make this happen - I have access to the controller and can  make changes - I am just not sure where to make the changes.

Should I have a separate SSID for the Wiis - or can I use the same SSID with both security profiles - and if so, how do I do this?

Thank you.

[FirstName] [JobTitle]
[FirstName] [JobTitle]
1 Solution
NeilOlso1
New Contributor II

Chris,  You will need to go into the ESS profile that you want the Wiis to connect to and enable the lower base rates on the BGN Base Transmit Rates.  That is if your 2.4 Ghz radios are set to BGN.  by default only 11 Mbps is enabled.  Wii needs 1,2,5.5 enabled to establish the initial communication with the AP.  It is typically recommended to have a separate ESS for this as having the lower base rates enabled can cause slower issues for other clients.  I can not verify this (effect on other cliemts) just what I have been told.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NeilOlso1
New Contributor II

Chris,  You will need to go into the ESS profile that you want the Wiis to connect to and enable the lower base rates on the BGN Base Transmit Rates.  That is if your 2.4 Ghz radios are set to BGN.  by default only 11 Mbps is enabled.  Wii needs 1,2,5.5 enabled to establish the initial communication with the AP.  It is typically recommended to have a separate ESS for this as having the lower base rates enabled can cause slower issues for other clients.  I can not verify this (effect on other cliemts) just what I have been told.

CNelson

Neil: thanks for this. just for clarification, I presently have one ESS set up. You  are recommending we set up another ESS as changeing the lower base rates can cause sloer issues for other clients?

When you mention "lower base rates" is this what you are referring to? This is what I am seeing under this ESS: see attached PDF (base transmit rates.pdf) file. I see line items called "base transmit rates" but broken out for each B, G and N -  1, 2, 5.5 and also one lower base rate for all three called BGN - is this the only one to set, or do I set all of the base transmits for the individual ones as well? Hope that makes sense. I'll also look in to setting up another ESS profile - specifically for this purpose.

[FirstName] [JobTitle]
[FirstName] [JobTitle]
NeilOlso1
New Contributor II

Chris,  yes, you are correct.  If your 2.4 Ghz radio is set to BGN, then, in your ESS you would check the 1,2, 5.5 for the BGN Base Transmit Rates section.  Pic attached of my current setting for the ESS that Wiis use.  I have also included a interoperability guide from Meru on Wii config.  If your 2.4 Ghz radio is set to BG, then you would change the BG Base Tranmit Rates.  

CNelson

Thanks Neil. Great information. Another couple of question: 

1. where would I look to find if the 2.4GHz radios are in bg or bgn mode?

2. do Vcell and VPort need to be on - on our present set up they are not.

I have also attached a pdf (ESS Profile.pdf) of the present ESS profile (the only one right now). In case this shows anything that may also be causing problems.

[FirstName] [JobTitle]
[FirstName] [JobTitle]
CNelson

Also Neil, here is a screen shot (AP.pdf) of the radios section under Wireless. It appears this shows the RF band selection - 2 items per AP. One: 802.11an andTWO: 802.11bgn. Would this indicate the the settings (bg or bgn) for the 2.4Ghz radios that you were referring to? Thanks

[FirstName] [JobTitle]
[FirstName] [JobTitle]
NeilOlso1
New Contributor II

Chris,  so you are good to go then with changing the BGN Base Transmit Rates.  You are using BGN on your 2.4 Ghz radio  and AN onyour 5 Ghz radio.  You do NOT need to have vport or vcell enabled.

CNelson

Thanks for everything Neil. I will give it a go and we will see what happens. I'll provide a follow up either way.

[FirstName] [JobTitle]
[FirstName] [JobTitle]
NeilOlso1
New Contributor II

Sounds good Chris.  Good luck.