Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

rmock_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Manually Uninstalling FortiClient on MacOS

Recently I did the Catalina Upgrade to both of my MacBook Pros.  FortiClient was working on both.  Then on ONE of them, I did the supplemental patch.  That patch killed my FortiClient.  Man was I on fire.  Fortinet announced that 6.2.2 would fix the Catalina problem.  I attempted to uninstall FortiClient on my laptop but continuously got the FortiClient screen but everything was grayed out.  Needless to say I was not a happy camper.  Since Apple does not give you information about what they did with their patches, there was no way for me to figure out what I could do to reverse the issue.

I attempted to use the uninstaller but would get and error message to the affect of "Forticlient is running, please shut it down".  So I decided to manually remove it via the CLI.  I was unable to uninstall or re-install over top of it.  Here is what I did.

Shell out to a terminal window.  Use the Terminal or iTerm2 or whatever floats your boat.

cd / 
cd Library/LaunchDaemons 
sudo rm -rf com.fortinet.forticlient.* 
cd / 
cd "Library/Application Support/Fortinet" 
sudo rm -R FortiClient

Reboot the Mac 
run FortiClientUninstaller from the Applications Folder

You should now be able to re-install FortiClient

0 REPLIES 0