Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

AnonMemb
New Contributor II

MC4200 Corupt Compact Flash card

Hello,

Does anyone have access to or a copy of the firmware for an MC4200 Controller?   i have one which has corrupted the compact flash and wont boot and it is quite critical to get the system back up and running 

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

PEte

28 REPLIES 28
jbattam_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Pete,

If the compact flash is corrupt it would need to be re-imaged. The re-image process will factory default the controller settings.

Can you advise what code version you need and i can share a link to download it.

Note: This process will void hardware warranty. So if your MC4200 is still under a support contract/warranty please contact customer support for assistance.

To re-image the flash you need to power off and disconnect the controller from the network. Open the lid on the controller (voids warranty) and remove the 4GB compact flash card.

Then connect the compact flash card to a compatible reader and load the image file using a program such as WinImage.

Once the imaging process is complete insert the compact flash card back into the controller. Power it up, before connecting it to the network run the initial setup, then reboot and restore your backup.

Once the backup is restored connect it to the network and it should be good to go again. If you don't have a backup you can configure it after running setup.

Kind Regards,

John Battam

John Battam
Principal CSE - Wireless/IAM International Region
Fortinet
Sydney | Australia
CWNE #327
AnonMemb

Hi John,

Thanks for your quick reply,  the device is out of support contract.

i am unsure of the current version of the firmware in the unit, can we just reimage with the latest version or will it need to update all the ap's also?

what will happen to the licenses for the ap's as there doesn't appear to be a config backup

Thanks

Pete

jbattam_FTNT

What model AP's do you have?

The latest versions of code i.e. System Director (SD) 7.0-13 and SD 8.4-1 no longer require AP licenses. This means the controller will natively support the maximum number of APs. i.e. 500 APs are supported on the MC4200.

If you are using older 802.11n access points (i.e. AP320i) i suggest using SD 7.0-13.

You can download the image for SD 7.0-13 here;

meru-7.0-13build-0-MC4200.img.zip
Password: KvX7UFjf
https://fortinet.egnyte.com/dl/cwqliJ2QUc

and SD 8.4-1 here;

meru-8.4-1build-1-MC4200.img.zip
Password: 9Qt8e7GJ
https://fortinet.egnyte.com/dl/4Yvy4BIre6

Please un-zip the image file before attempting to use it with an image tool. Download links above will expire on 30th June.

Regards,

JB

John Battam
Fortinet
Sydney | Australia
CWNE #327
MartM

Hi John, I have the same issue but I have one for the MC1500. Is it possible to get the link please. I tried to recover the any of the partition in the flash card but came up nothing. Can you help?

Regards
Martin

------------------------------
Martin [LastName] [Designation]
MR
[CompanyName]
[City] [State]
Regards [FirstName]
Regards [FirstName]
jbattam_FTNT

Hi Martin,

Just confirming it's an MC1500 you have and not a MC1550. The 1500 was EOL over 5yrs ago.

I can definitely provide access to MC1550 images. The MC1500 I'll have to do some digging as those files are archived.

Hopefully you also have a copy of your AP licenses that can be re-installed.

Regards,
JB

John Battam
CSE - Wireless APAC
Fortinet
Sydney NSW
John Battam
Fortinet
Sydney | Australia
CWNE #327
MartM

Sorry. Yes my device is the MC1500. Thank you.

Regards
Martin
Regards [FirstName]
Regards [FirstName]
MartM

Hi John

Yes, thats correct I have the Meru MC1500.

Regards
Martin
Regards [FirstName]
Regards [FirstName]
MartM

Hi John

I have another question. Would you know what is the highest firmware for my unit MC1500, i'm running a couple of AP832 and currently from what I can see on the firmware on the AP is 6.1-3 but can it be upgraded to the 7 or 8?

Thanks John

Regards
Martin
Regards [FirstName]
Regards [FirstName]
MartM

Hi John

Did you able to find the image/firmware for MC1500 in your archive?

Regards
Martin
Regards [FirstName]
Regards [FirstName]