Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

StuaJame
New Contributor

MC3200 failed CF card

Hello

I have a school with an old Meru AP320, AP300 and MC3200 setup. The usual story, they have no money to replace the system and are desperate to get back up and running. The CF card in the 3200 has failed. It won't even show the linux recovery option on boot. I have connected over serial, etc, etc.

I have a new 4GB CF card which I just tried to flash the recovery image onto it (meru-7.0-10-0-MC3200_recovery_root.img), but this did not work. After doing a bit of digging I think this recovery image is designed to be used not with a blank CF card but when the original CF card is still functional and will at least boot into the linux recovery partition? 

Does an image exist that is suitable for flashing onto a brand new card, please?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. They are hoping to replace the system next year and any goodwill from Fortinet will go a long way, I'm sure! 

Thanks

Stuart

18 REPLIES 18
StuaJame
New Contributor

Just to let you know, I found another thread detailing a similar issue on an MC4200. I thought I'd give that image a go and do I downloaded it and then dd'd it to a new CF card. I installed it into the MC3200 and booted into linux recovery and then ftp'd the regular meru-7.0-10-0-MC3200_recovery_root.img.gz image down and that seemed to unpack and now the MC3200 is booting up fine. I've upgraded to meru-7.0-15build-0-MC3200-rpm.tar and the school's access points are hopefully just minutes away from being back online. 

Thank you for posting the recovery image, which appears to have done the trick for me.

Stuart

TonyBurk
New Contributor II

Hi Stuart

Where did you get the recovery image, I had exactly the same issue on a MC3200, We had to replace the Box but I would still like to get the original up and running

Tony

markdr_FTNT

Hi All,

Please advise which recovery images are required and I will post updated download links for you.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark Ribbans
TonyBurk

Hi

The Box is an MC 3200 running Ap1010 and 1020 Access Points. The Card was Faulty. I need to replace the CF card and Set up the new card from scratch.

kind regards

Tony

AdriCarl

Hi Mark,

I need help with the recovery image for an old MC3200 that got corrupted. If I remember it correctly, the last installed version was 8.5.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Adrian
RanjVija

HI Tony,

If you are looking for 7.0.13 recovery image for MC3200, you can download it from below infosite link. Hope you have access to infosite, if not let me know will upload in egnyte and share you the link.

https://info.fortinet.com/files/FortiWLC-SD/v7.00/images/build7013/686f/MC3200/meru-7.0-13build-0-MC3200_recovery_root.img.gz

If you need a different version, let me know will share the link for that.

Thanks,

Ranjith.

TonyBurk
New Contributor II

Hi Ranjith

Can I just re image that to the new card

Tony

RanjVija

HI Tony,

If you are going to use a new card, you don't need a recovery image. You can directly burn the full image of the version you require. 

I have shared the links for 7.0.13 and 8.4.4GA Image files for 3200. You can use the version you want. 

https://info.fortinet.com/files/FortiWLC-SD/v7.00/images/build7013/686f/MC3200/meru-7.0-13build-0-MC3200.img

https://info.fortinet.com/files/FortiWLC-SD/v8.00/images/build8448/meru-8.4-4build-8-MC3200.img.zip

You can use any free tool like Win32diskimager to burn the new image to the compact flash.  Please let me know if you have any queries regarding burning the image. 

Thanks,

Ranjith.

StuaJame

Hi Ranjith

Although I have now solved my issue with the help of the MC4200 image, I thought I would try and download your kindly provided links for the MC3200 images to flash onto new cards. However, when I try either of the links it takes me to a sign in page. I have entered both my details for support.fortinet.com and the forum details for fusecommunity.fortinet.com but both are rejected. How should I log in to info.fortinet.com please?

Thank you!
Stuart