Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

BenLeav
New Contributor

L2TP IPSec VPN on FortiGate 70D very slow

Hello,

I recently setup a FortiGate 70D as the firewall/router at our office. We are able to connect to the VPN, but the throughput is incredibly slow. We have a 100/100 fibre connection, but all VPN traffic (remote clients are mostly on OSX or IOS) runs under 5Mbps.

I don't think I have any traffic shaping going on, CPU load looks reasonable, I have adjusted encryption types, local clients get our full port speed (mostly, upload can be sluggish it seems but always 20Mbps+).

We are running firmware v5.2.4,build688 and have experienced the slow speed with different remote ISP's. We replaced an old SonicWall and we did not have this same sluggishness in the old setup.

Any troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
BenLeav
New Contributor

Just an update, I have done some reworking on the network and I have our old SonicWall hooked up on a different WAN IP to compare. I have tried to match protocols as best I can, but the FortiGate VPN (Both SSL and IPSEC) is still dramatically slower than the other VPN.

My next step is to wipe clean the VPN Configuration and try starting from scratch, but if I am to do that does someone have a guide that covers the steps? I think I needed to hybrid two guides the last time and that could be causing my problem.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.