Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

dsantos_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Import Logs from storage into FAZ

Hey guys,

Is there a way to import logs stored in an external storage, into  FAZ without having the Fortigate that generated the logs logging to this FAZ ?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Yes. Attached contains the details on how to import logs on a 5.2 FAZ.

Ling Lu
dsantos_FTNT

Thanks for the response.

I've tried this on FortiAnalyzer 5.2 and this doesn't work, it's needed that the FortiGate that generated the logs, is actually registered on FAZ.

I'm talking about having a dedicated FAZ to reporting (no a single FGT registered), and eventually pulling random logs from an external storage device.

L_FTNT

Could you please attach a small sample log that you were tring to import to the FAZ 5.2?

Ling Lu
dsantos_FTNT

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14535641/FGTADOM3_tlog_from_2015-12-16_18_44_44_to_2016-01-15_18_44_44.log_at_1452912305.log.gz

Tks !

L_FTNT

I was able to import your log file on my FAZ-VM that is running 5.4 interim build - see attached screenshots for details. You need to take the following steps:

• Add the FGT device: FGVM020000037670  in Device Manager of the FAZ (you can give a bogus IP but the SN needs to be true)
  • Go to Log View to import the log file under the this device name from the import diaglog
Ling Lu
ToddCraw

I am trying to pull the local disk logs from a 3000D to a FAZ VM, both are 5.4.1 and I am getting an internal error on the import. Is there anyway to do this? I have a PoC where the partner did not install a FAZ and the customer wants some really nice reports. It's only 3 days of data but 300-400 Mbps customer environment so should be decent amount of data.

JasonWan_FTNT

I also get " internal error" message in 5.4.2 build 1151 when I upload the log from other FAZ 

I just create a new FAZ from device manager , enter the correct SN but it can't import the log

is it anything wrong ?

rstierli_FTNT

Hi Jason

I got the same result as you, if I use the following settings for downloading logs:

Log file format = Native
Compress With gzip "check"

As a workaround:

Keep log file format as “Native” and uncheck "Compress With gzip", this worked for me. I'll open a Mantis as it seems there is a problem with “gzip”.

Many thanks, Roland

JasonWan_FTNT

Hi Roland

It solved my problem...

Thanks for your advice and support :)

Jason

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.