Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

nonesuch
New Contributor

IPSec VPN port 445

With the recent Ransomware should I specifically block port 445 on my IPSec policy or being a tunnel is it okay to leave as is?

Thanks

MJF

1 Solution
harald21
Contributor

Hello,

I dont think blocking SMB (tcp/445) inside a vpn tunnel is the right solution, because you need this for Windows network file access.

To protect your systems I would instead assign an IPS profile to the tunnel traffic. (both WCra and Petya will be matched by the signature "MS.SMB.Server.SMB1.Trans2.Secondary.Handling.Code.Execution")

Sincerely

Harald

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
harald21
Contributor

Hello,

I dont think blocking SMB (tcp/445) inside a vpn tunnel is the right solution, because you need this for Windows network file access.

To protect your systems I would instead assign an IPS profile to the tunnel traffic. (both WCra and Petya will be matched by the signature "MS.SMB.Server.SMB1.Trans2.Secondary.Handling.Code.Execution")

Sincerely

Harald