Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

hiendam
New Contributor II

Fortigate license registration

Hello,

I've just received a Fortigate NGFW, working on license registration and updates. As a newbee, I'd like to ask the followings:

1. Is it mandatory to connect the Forti to internet in order to registrate the license? I saw the Forticare turning around searching something.
2. Same question for firmware updates, need internet connection?  Is there a method to do offline?
3. There is a case 'Enter registration code' on FortiGuard license information, where can I get this code?

Thank you very much.
4 REPLIES 4
faridulalam_FTNT

1. It's strongly recommended to register all hardware/VM/License within 99 days from the date of release (from warehouse).
2. Not mandatory. You can download firmware in your PC and upgrade from local. But, pls don't forget to upgrade path @ https://docs.fortinet.com/upgrade-tool
3. If you have purchased FortiCare and/or FortiGuard support/subscription, therefore, collect the license file from your vendor/partner.

Regards,​

------------------------------
Faridul
------------------------------
[FirstName] [JobTitle]
PC
New Contributor III

1. Is it mandatory to connect the Forti to internet in order to registrate the license? I saw the Forticare turning around searching something.

-> Yes, you must have it on the Internet unless you have a FortiManger setup. https://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/56/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-system-administration/Central%20Mana...
2. Same question for firmware updates, need internet connection?  Is there a method to do offline?
You can download the files then apply them

3. There is a case 'Enter registration code' on FortiGuard license information, where can I get this code?

When you register the firewall you can use the serial number instead of a registration code. If you bought advanced features you get a PDF file with the code. 

hiendam
New Contributor II

Thank you Peter and Faridul.

I'll try to do as written.

Regards.
hiendam
New Contributor II

Hello guys,

I succeeded to register my FWs and everything is fine.
After playing these new devices for some time, I'd like to keep the license elsewhere in case of issue.
But I don't know how to download this lic file from product registration website. 
Maybe I have to ask the vendor?

Thanks