Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

jgiles_FTNT
Staff
Staff

FortiGate Central Management Request Intervals

I am just wondering, when you configure the FortiGate to request to be managed by the FortiManager. 

How many requests are sent? What is the interval between requests? How long does it wait before timing out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jeff G

1 Solution
jpforcioli_FTNT

Well,

Do you think this is for the case where it's the very first time FGT is contacting its FMG?

Because once the management tunnel is establised, FMG is supposed to transmit all the keepalive, retry interval, number of retries details to use (so whatever is configured under "config system dm" at FMG side).

But for the very first time, I can't tell you precisely.

To get such information, I would try to configure a fake FMG (i.e unreachable FMG) in my FGT while debugging the FGFM negociation:

diagnose debug application fgdmd -1
diagnose debug enable
diagnose debug console timestamp enable
config system central-management
set type fortimanager
set fmg 10.0.0.1 # Fake FMG
end
Jean-Pierre FORCIOLI

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jpforcioli_FTNT

Hi,

What's your underlying concern here?

It will help to better answer your question.

Thanks!

Jean-Pierre FORCIOLI
jgiles_FTNT

Thank you for getting back to me.

I don't have any concerns, I have a support ticket with a customer asking these questions.

Regards,

Jeff G

jpforcioli_FTNT

Well,

Do you think this is for the case where it's the very first time FGT is contacting its FMG?

Because once the management tunnel is establised, FMG is supposed to transmit all the keepalive, retry interval, number of retries details to use (so whatever is configured under "config system dm" at FMG side).

But for the very first time, I can't tell you precisely.

To get such information, I would try to configure a fake FMG (i.e unreachable FMG) in my FGT while debugging the FGFM negociation:

diagnose debug application fgdmd -1
diagnose debug enable
diagnose debug console timestamp enable
config system central-management
set type fortimanager
set fmg 10.0.0.1 # Fake FMG
end
Jean-Pierre FORCIOLI