Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

MorganDoyle
New Contributor

Custom Parser Test failing

I've a problem with creating a custom parser. 

I've added the Device, created a Custom Event, added a simple parser (with Recognizer etc) and a test log message.

The XML validates ok, but when I use the Test button, I get an "Errors" message (but no other details).

My parser is listed under the 'Parser Used' column.

I cloned some other existing parsers (such as CiscoSEParser) and tried the test function there.

They also fails with "Errors"

Why do clones of 'production' parsers fail the Test ?

thanks,

1 Solution
rolando_anton_FTNT

If is based on another parser you must disable it before clone it, in the error message sometimes you will see that the error is because another parser is handling the test message. I'm attaching a quick document that you can use as a reference, however, keep in mind that the parser used in that example is already fixed on 4.10.

In Reply to Morgan Doyle:

I've added the Device, created a Custom Event, added a simple parser (with Recognizer etc) and a test log message.

The XML validates ok, but when I use the Test button, I get an "Errors" message (but no other details).

I cloned some other existing parsers (such as CiscoSEParser) and tried the test function there.

thanks,

-

Rolando Antón

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
harald21
Contributor

Hello,

to pass the test, you also need an appropriate syslog message to test the custom parser against.

Sincerely

Harald

rolando_anton_FTNT

If is based on another parser you must disable it before clone it, in the error message sometimes you will see that the error is because another parser is handling the test message. I'm attaching a quick document that you can use as a reference, however, keep in mind that the parser used in that example is already fixed on 4.10.

In Reply to Morgan Doyle:

thanks,

-

Rolando Antón