Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

Doug_H
New Contributor

Can't Manage FortiAP-U421EV- Need Help

I recently bought one of the new U421EV APs. According to all of the literature these universal series APs are designed to be managed by FortiCloud, a Fortigate or an Infrastructure WiFi controller. My problem is the key for the FortiCloud throws and error and my Fortigate (Running OS 5.4.3)can't see it as an AP. Has anyone been able to make a U421EV or U423EV work with FortiCloud or a local Fortigate unit? 

1 Solution
jbattam_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Doug,

Management of the Fortinet Universal APs i.e. FAP-U421EV are currently only supported by the Fortinet Wireless LAN Controllers i.e. FWC-50D.

Management of the Universal AP's from the FortiGate is targeted for FortiOS 5.6, which is due for release between now and the 31st of March. However I am not sure if the AP firmware will be released at the same time. 

If you cannot wait for the firmware release in order to manage the FAP-U421EV from the FortiGate or FortiCloud, I propose you switch the current FAP-U421EV for either a FAP-421E or a FAP-S421E (S=Smart AP which adds UTM functionality at the AP level).

Both the FAP-421E and FAP-S421E can currently be managed via the Fortigate or FortiCloud platforms, but these AP's will not be able to be managed by the dedicated Fortinet Wireless LAN Controllers.

Kind Regards,

John Battam

John Battam
Principal CSE - Wireless/IAM International Region
Fortinet
Sydney | Australia
CWNE #327

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jbattam_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Doug,

Management of the Fortinet Universal APs i.e. FAP-U421EV are currently only supported by the Fortinet Wireless LAN Controllers i.e. FWC-50D.

Management of the Universal AP's from the FortiGate is targeted for FortiOS 5.6, which is due for release between now and the 31st of March. However I am not sure if the AP firmware will be released at the same time. 

If you cannot wait for the firmware release in order to manage the FAP-U421EV from the FortiGate or FortiCloud, I propose you switch the current FAP-U421EV for either a FAP-421E or a FAP-S421E (S=Smart AP which adds UTM functionality at the AP level).

Both the FAP-421E and FAP-S421E can currently be managed via the Fortigate or FortiCloud platforms, but these AP's will not be able to be managed by the dedicated Fortinet Wireless LAN Controllers.

Kind Regards,

John Battam

John Battam
Principal CSE - Wireless/IAM International Region
Fortinet
Sydney | Australia
CWNE #327
Doug_H

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to see about 5.6 beta and if not switch the unit.